Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - More Gasser stuff (Kinda long)
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Flirtin' With Disaster

Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I guess I was showing my ignorance & confusion. My head is spinnin', trying to get a handle on all of this. Actually, a cross style spring would be a heck of a lot easier to fit, lots less bracketry to fabricate. I guess my concern tho' has been that the tube axles I've seen available, with cross springs, all claim to be for "light weight" cars like buckets & roadsters.
As to a custom made tube axle, my nephew & I have been talking about doing just that. He works in a local welding shop and the owner used to be a pretty good chassis designer, himself. I've been bouncing some of my design ideas off of him as I go. Looks like we'll have to run with this one & see where it goes.
Y'know, it's a shame that there isn't more documentation (at least on the web) on how these cars were set up back then. I've been looking for good illustrations of front suspensions. I'm kind of visual in my thought process. If I can see clearly how someone else did it I can then think through how to make something similar work for me.
I've seen a few posts on this board about doing cars in this style, & someone's predicting that this style of car will be making a comeback at the track. I'm a bit of a computer nerd (have my whole house networked, including my detached shop)and have a web cam hooked up to my shop computer.
I'm "filming" all of my processes as I go. Maybe I should make a little documentary available when I'm done. Maybe make it easier for the next guy. Just a thought.
Anyway, thanks for the response & I welcome any other views or advice on this.
Murff