More header gasket stuff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

More header gasket stuff

Getting ready to install block hugger headers on my hot rod. Bought a set of copper gaskets but now I don't know if I want to use them. 87 305 chev with square port aluminum heads, round port headers. Would different expansion/contraction rates between the copper gaskets and aluminum heads jepeordize sealing? Should the raised bead on the gasket face the head or the header? Looks like minimal sealing surface due to different port shapes.

Should I use the copper or get my 25 bucks back and buy stock exhaust manifold gaskets, or use the paper ones that came with the headers? Won't soaking the paper gaskets cause them to delaminate or come apart?

Thanks
Bud

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I use the stock manifold gaskets......The trick I think is to check your bolts for tightness regularly......
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM

I used the mr. gskt header gskt. coated both sides w/ hi-temp silicone/copper ,works great ,no leaks or blowouts !!
dave
Old 04-30-2012, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62restomod
Getting ready to install block hugger headers on my hot rod. Bought a set of copper gaskets but now I don't know if I want to use them. 87 305 chev with square port aluminum heads, round port headers. Would different expansion/contraction rates between the copper gaskets and aluminum heads jepeordize sealing? Should the raised bead on the gasket face the head or the header? Looks like minimal sealing surface due to different port shapes.

Should I use the copper or get my 25 bucks back and buy stock exhaust manifold gaskets, or use the paper ones that came with the headers? Won't soaking the paper gaskets cause them to delaminate or come apart?

Thanks
Bud
These should work just fine, I regularly use all metal exhaust gaskets be they copper or aluminum on both iron and aluminum heads to steel header flanges and even cast iron manifolds with no issues. A nice thing is if the bolts loosen the hot exhaust gasses will not burn the all metal gaskets as will happen with wire backed composition or paper.

The other gasket I've had sucess with is Remflex carbon gaskets, its weird but you'll find these under the LS/LT engines not under V8 http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/159.htm

Bogie
Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

All I ever used is the stock manifold gaskets. These are made of mesh steel so they don't burn out easy. They're cheap, and best of all they're slotted so you don't have to remove the header bolts to install them. You just loosen the header bolts, pull the header away from the head, drop the gasket in and bolt it back up. Quick, simple and cheap. Can't beat that. Also worth mentioning in most cases if you have to remove the header for any reason you can reuse these same gaskets. I've reused one set up to three times without one leak.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.