More Header Questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2004, 07:58 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

More Header Questions

OK, so here's the deal. My wife wants to get me a set of headers for my birthday but I'm not sure what to do. I did a search on headers and found some interesting debates. After reading through some posts it looks like I could either spend $330 on a pair of ceramic coated Hookers or save $180 and get the regular headers for $150 dollars. Now I know the black paint that come on the $150 headers is just for rust protection before you install them and burns right off but in an older post someone mentioned painting them with John Deer muffler paint. Is this stuff sold over the counter, is it black, and do I need to find a John Deer retailer to buy it. I think it would be nice to open the hood and have a decent looking set of headers under there but any money that could be saved would be a bonus. So I'm wondering how many of you have had success painting your headers, do they look good, and what kind of paint did you use? How many are currently using ceramic coated headers and how are they holding up? Also if I buy black headers do I need to remove the paint they put on with paint stripper before appying the high temp paint or can it be sprayed over the cheap paint they come with? This is kinda funny in a way 'cause I put lots of headers on cars (mostly junkers) when I was younger and never painted them or nothing 'cause I never cared how they looked, now I actually would like them to hold up looking decent as long as possible. Any input would be appreciated. Also if any of you have pictures that you can see your headers that can be posted that would be great. I'm hoping to order my headers within the next week or two from Summit.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`ve tried several types of different heat paint, 2 times I stripped the factory paint, other times I didn`t bother, it didn`t make much difference, it still did the same thing within 2 weeks. I don`t know if the John Deere paint works or not, but I`d already decided just to spend the extra bucks on coated headers my next go round instead of trusting to anything else. Good Luck D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 08:55 AM

Last photo:

I went to wall mart and bought their "super high temp engine paint". The stuff with the motor on the can. Well i sanded the headers and then washed them with gas and soapy water. I then proceeded to paint them and baked it on with a heater. I did 3 coats like this. After about a week the paint was begining to flake but it didnt turn that crappy brown color. It turned to a sort of charcoal color. It doesnt look that bad and i am pleased with how it turned out. HTH
Old 07-03-2004, 09:17 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Don,......
having a crappy set of headers sucks. (rather blows)..... i've determined that i'm going to get a set of the jet-hot coated jobbies with the thick 3/8'' flange next time. do yourself a favor, save the time and money, and get a good set. fwiw.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:44 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

If you paint your headers, it will last about a year and then will start to look crappy, regardless of what kind of paint it is. A ceramic coated header will outlast (finish-wise) any painted header.

tom
Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

D- TRUST ME - get the ceramic metallic coated ones. So much worth the extra $$ you won't believe it. Headers will look great forever - become a non-issue for the first time in your life. Will out-last the car. Don't even think of any other finish for a set of headers.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Get them Jet Hot coated Don, you won't be sorry.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:17 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

I paid the extra money for ceramic coated headers, the added appeal and longivity make it worth the extra cost.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

get whacha pay for man, those non-coated headers are worthless-

Trust me, either way, you're going to end up buying a set of coated ones. You can either buy and install once or twice!

K
Old 07-03-2004, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Just checking in . Looks like the general consensus is that even painting the headers new will not outlast a set of coated headers. Chuck I did a web search and found Jet Hot's web site www.jet-hot.com and it looks like they sell already treated headers. I e-mailed them for a quote on a set of Hooker Comps with their coating. I'm not familiar with Jet Hot, is this what you were suggesting or do they sell a coating that you do yourself. I'm interested to see how they price compared to a basic set of ceramic coated Hookers from Summit. I'm trying not to rush into a purchase but I'm not always the most patient with this stuff. Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Old 07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just about everyone sells coated headers nowadays. But also check your local listings. There are shops popping up in medium sized towns that do it too. There are shops in Fresno and Bakersfield her in the Central Valley.

And it isn't a matter of which will last a little longer. Uncoated ones will be gone in a couple of years IF they are card for very well. Coated ones will last forever! The ones on my Willys are almost 10 years old and look like new.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Just about everyone sells coated headers nowadays. But also check your local listings.
I've noticed in the Summit catalog that just about all the header manufactures offer coated headers. I was going to go with Hooker 'cause I always used them in the past, and I like the little Hooker logo. I'm going to wait for a reply from Jet-Hot and then try and decide. I don't know how much of a difference their is between ceramic coated Hookers or the Jet-Hot coated Hookers. On the web-site the Jet-Hot look like a chrome finish, is that what they look like (chrome)? Decisions, decisions!

Old 07-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I like the Jet Hot brushed aluminum/chrome look and it lasts forever, the reduction in underhood temps is worth it alone. This is one coating that seems to withstand Canadian weather without cracking from the temperature extremes.

If you can believe the advertising on the site the new "Sterling" formulation is supposed to beat all the others, who knows. I just like the shiny metal look that requires no upkeep from me.

Jet-Hot technical info page.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The original finish that came out about 20 yrs ago was the satin aluminum look (like the ones on my Willys). They have offered a nearly chrome - at least good impression of highly polished aluminum - in the past couple years. My local guy can do either. The polished look is better than chrome after they both have been heated a couple of times. Chrome dies, ceramic doesn't.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Will powder coating last on headers?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.