More hydroboost questions!? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

More hydroboost questions!?

OK! Finally got my hands on a hydroboost unit from a 95 chevy astro van, looks to be in great condition.
Now its time to start ordering parts.
The kit I am looking at for front disks does not include the MC/Booster/Prop valve.
Ok no big deal I can piece it together for cheaper than they are offering anyway.
But what I need to know is:
1. Can a stock Disk/drum master cylinder be used with this unit or is it a hydroboost spacific unit?
2. Can a stock drum/drum prop valve be used with a disk/drum setup?
3. Can a stock style prop valve even handle the pressure being generated by the hydroboost unit?
4. If not where can I get one that will.
5. Is there a company that sells the lines from the PS pump to the hydroboost unit, or are those a custom made type of deal?

Thanks fellas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Just go to you local parts store (or Pick-A-Part like I do) and get all the jewelery that goes with that unit, then you know it will match. Vacuum assisted master cylinders are different from manual ones, made to fit and work with the booster. And they don't handle any more or less pressure than a manual valve. Still have to stop the car w/o locking the wheels which takes the same ultimate pressure at the wheel cylinders regardless. The vacuum booster just reduces the effort at the foot pedal so you don't get Arnold Schwarzenegger thighs.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:50 PM

Well the problem with the hydroboost is that it is a hydraulic unit. It creates a the same effect as a vaccume assisted unit, just magnified, using the power steering pump to to create pressure instead of vaccume.
Dont believe I can take a stock proportioning valve from the astro because the weight distrubution would be different requiring a different braking ratio.
I've seen conventional looking mastercylinders mounted to hydroboost units but then again I've seen newer plastic bottle MC's attached as well.
Think I got in over my head with this one but hoping it will be worth it when it's done.

Last edited by 69ChevelleAddict; 07-14-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Again, all the matching parts should be readily available a the parts store or junk yard for not many shekels. go that way and you will be fine.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Try this link it may be helpfull

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=202888
Old 07-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Funny you should mention that site.
Durring the past week I have been trying to do a lot of research on the subject and ran across that page, very helpful and the pictures are great.
But that is an application spacific setup even though it may work on my chevelle im the kind of guy that has to know 100% before I will make a move.
That is your ride I assume?
If so do you have any proportioning setup for the front lines or is it full pressure?
Old 07-16-2006, 06:20 PM

it has an adjustable valve to the rear brakes with a LRB valve in the rear line
to control rear lockup.

http://stores.ebay.com/Round88_Brake...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Proportioning valve should be from your existing car. It is matched to car weight and if its disc/drum or drum/drum or disc/disc. So if you haven't chenge the brakes them selves you need the valve you have. Or a new one of the same valve.

I used an adjustable because I have C10 front disc and 89 explorer rear disc with the 2001 boost unit and MC. I don't think I could match up a brass prop valve for that combo.

I just noticed your name and think we have been in contact before.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 PM

I actually just registered on the trucks forum, seems to be your usual hangout.
Even though its not a truck some same principals apply.
Actually though I do have a question/problem with my GMC pickup but thats another issue for another time
Dont really know if you want me messing up your thread with my questions though.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ChevelleAddict
I actually just registered on the trucks forum, seems to be your usual hangout.
Even though its not a truck some same principals apply.
Actually though I do have a question/problem with my GMC pickup but thats another issue for another time
Dont really know if you want me messing up your thread with my questions though.
There and webrodder.com
If you have questions about the hydroboost then thats what the thread is for. I would think that others would have the same questions that you have so it would be helpful to others to see yours. If I can answer them I will or at least point you in a right direction.
I would just not mention its a chevelle or they may bounce it to the misfits thread. If I see your handle I will know what you have. I think I gave you my email as well if you want to ask that way, no problem.

I know how hard it is to dig up this info. The ones that know want you to buy their parts first then answer questions.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.