more money wasted trying to go fast in my camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 11:11 PM
its not my fault

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

more money wasted trying to go fast in my camaro

i picked up a used weiand xellerator intake for my 350. i figure i d try it imstead of the performer. its the lowrise design. i finished installing over the weekend in my 5spd camaro. all i can say is i think i made a mistake. it is noticeably slower. i have to stall it at about 2,500 to get going, and it kills easier on hills. what did i do? what would the correct setup be?

im under the new impression that the Performer is the only good manifold out there. unless you run a 4.10+ gears and have high compression. even the RPM is a loss. it feels good at the end tho. the loss everywhere else sucks. i dont see how people with the 268xe are benefitting from this intake?

i think i will be forever slow

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 PM

the Weiand Xcelerator is good from 2000 to 6500 RPM... its basically a high rev intake. thats why its slower till it hits 2500RPM. you need an intake manifold thats good from idle - like 5500 RPM, like the performer. you'd be farther ahead to put the performer back on and sell the Weiand.

-Matt
Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

intakes

The Xcelerator is similar to Edel Torker 2 which is the bottom feeder of Edel intakes. The perf/rpm is the way to go. Better yet the Airgap/rpm if you don't drive this vehicle in the winter.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 PM
its not my fault

Last photo:

months ago you warned me . i didnt listen. i thought i could tune it so it would be liveable to drive around in, then fun to wind out. nope.

i tried the RPM. it made it lazy. it did extend the operating range, so it pulled longer. that didnt make it faster.

ill put the performer back on.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

You just need to tune your carb properly to the RPM. The RPM will get more streetable bottom end than the Performer if you tune it right.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

To explain why the low end torque loss occurs is due to the open design of the intake, one cylinder is drawing off the entire mass of the carb, at cruise it`s drawing off both front barrels on the primary side, at wide open throttle, one cylinder is drawing off all 4 barrels. One thing you can do is go to a smaller carb, this helps with the velocity loss that occurs with open plane intakes. Or you could also add a 4 hole carb spacer to help get some velocity back.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

not sure of your combo - but I'm running a Performer RPM on my 350 and I have lots of bottom end.

I'm running a ZZ4 cam with modified Vortec heads.

Kevin
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

You must be running the 7547 Xcelerator, I used the 7546 Xcelerator years ago on a mild 383 in a heavy car with an automatic and it worked very well and that was without the plenum divider, that little option didn't come along until several years later. I tried the Torker II on a similar 350 a few laters later and it sucked , I would have to believe the 7547 would be very similar to the Torker II. I replaced the Torker II with a Performer after about a week and saw an immediate performance improvement, at that time the Performer RPM didn't exist. The 7546 has a medium sized plenum compared to many single planes and long medium sized runners that help mixture velocity. In retrospect I probably would have done even better with a Z-28/LT-1 intake on the 383 but the 7546 still had low end torque to spare. My next project, a 406 SBC, will use a Performer RPM.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:52 AM

some of the weiand manifolds benefitted from a removeable plenum divider like the excellerator.according to david vizard in the book how to build horse power the excellerator was nearly useless without the divider.the holley z manifold has one also.vizard goes on to say that of all the single plane manifolds he's tested the weiand street ram #7525 for 350 and larger engines had low speed power near that of a dual plane along with top end power.it's good from 2000-6500 and with an auto. use the plenum divider that weiand sells separately.actually for the street i also like single plane manifolds with small plenums.if you have a ride not used for daily driver or one with big c.i.'s i would then go up to the larger single planes.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
its not my fault

Last photo:

is anybody running the weiand stealth? how much hp can it support? more than the RPM?

my setup is a 85 camaro 350 swap, 9.0 :1 ,cam? lift .28/.292, 600holley vac , 5sp, 3.08 gear, and now i have the weiand 7547 topping it off. used to be a blue performer. the car used to be very quick, compared to the auto's.

i really like weiand manifolds over the eddies out there.

Last edited by SpankyNuts; 06-21-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Street Dominator

Hi,
I am running a Holley Street Dominator high-rise dual plane on the 350 in my '81 Malibu wagon. It works great for the street, and while not optimum for the current combo, has lots of potential for other engine upgrades. My total combo is very similar to yours except for a TH-350 trans.

It was pretty cheap too, $130 at Advance Auto. Has some minor hood clearance issues, though.

Haven't run the Performer RPM for a direct comparison but they seem quite similar. Airgap looks good but the $230 vs. $130 price tag did it for me.

I personally think the torker intakes suck. If you want a good single plane a more advanced design like a Vic. Jr would be much better. I have heard this about torkers acros their whole line, particularly on SBF and BBF motors.

Good luck sorting out your combo - a good lesson in matching components.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

[QUOTE=SpankyNuts]cam? lift .28/.292, QUOTE]

??

What are your cam specs?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
its not my fault

Last photo:

i only checked the lift for int/exh when the manifold was off. .28" intake and .292" exhaust from the lifter . i dont know my rockers ratio.

holley suggests cam 01003LK (214/224 and .296/.311)with the stealth. thats not too far from my cam. is it?

well then , add the xcelerator to the sucks list. why are my headers glowing?

Last edited by SpankyNuts; 06-21-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Your mixture is too rich. Fuel is getting into the exhaust and burning, causing your headers to glow.

Can you give any valve lift measurements (or to anyone who knows is it just going to be the cam lift measurement multiplied by the rocker ratio?)?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:11 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Quote:
(214/224 and .296/.311)with the stealth. thats not too far from my cam. is it?
.296 * 1.5 stck ratio= .444" lift
.311 * 1.5 = .466" lift

Your cam is? :.28" intake and .292"
.280 * 1.5= .420"
.292 * 1.5= .438"

That is only one size different.

If you want to make it run cheap and well with stock parts I'll tell you how to make it a screamer for under $300.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.