Hot Rod Forum banner

more paint woahs

4K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  monster76 
#1 ·
Ok so...I have 2 hf cheapo purple guns&the 2 gun so called pro kit from hf&Ive been using the larger gun on practice panels.The issue Im getting is there seems to be fine droplets kind of like a splatter..I get no runs but I get an almost orange peel it looks as if its orange peel but real fine&its smooth to the touch.Im thinking Im not waiting long enough between flash&the droplets are just cause the gun is dialed in Im running the
Gun@35psi@the regulator on the gun&35on the 33gal compressor I have all of this is probably wrong please help.

#2 ·
I think you should read up on spraying cause there's a lot you can learn. At this point it sounds like you're not aware of the importance of the right size tips. And with HF guns it's ok with primer but to have clear lay out good you'll need to over reduce it or hammer it on. If you somehow get a glassy look it will have trapped solvents or run. If you use a better gun ( doesn't have to be the best) you will be able to achieve that gloss easier due to better atomization, without runs or trapped solvents.

#4 ·
You said the other day your compressor came unplugged. If that's the case, I'm guessing it's a little 110V or maybe 110V/220V 33 gallon upright oilless compressor. By the time you've sprayed for a minute with that gun, your compressor is already behind in air delivery and you're probably not getting full atomization. See what your SCFM or CFM rating is on your compressor. you need probably 14CFM for those guns. if your compressor is less than that, you'll have some of the problems you mentioned.

#5 ·
I think it may be the tip, but also could be a number of things. I say this cause out here all the purple HF guns come with only a 1.5 tip. I don't think they make a 1.3-1.4. It could be just out here though, not sure. Do you know what size tip it is?

I also think cyclopsblown34 has some good tidbits. With an underpowered compressor the first couple passes will be ok but will quickly bog down, noticeable in atomization and sound of the hiss.

#17 ·
its funny you mention that i have 2 hf purple guns one was like $25 with a 1.4 tip and another one for $15 with a 1.5 tip there is'nt a big difference between the 2 i dont paint to often at all i have upgraded and still use them for primer but they worked good for little bit of paint ive done, although every one said when i was painting the mustang, why buy good ammo for the saturday night special...

#7 ·
I get the HF purple guns with 1.4 tips all day long. The 1.5 tips are the hard ones to find. They spray fine. Depends on the products used. For base coat reduce the presssure and crank it up for the clear. You can tell which size tip by the part number on the box. The 1.4 and 1.5 tips use different part numbers. Somebody is using those guns for paint jobs, the guns in stock at HF get depleted quick.

#9 ·
There can be lots of things wrong that are causing you problems. Do you have a good water filter on the compressor? Make sure all the fittings on the HF gun are tight, they throw those things together and you can get ones that have loose fittings. Always make sure you don't have a clogged vent on top of the cup. For base coat you want something like about 25 psi and you want something like 40-45 psi for clear. You can get the clear to flow with the HF gun.

#10 ·
that could be it. I also have a compressor that isn't up to spec for painting but I can run a detail gun on it and find my SRI PRO works pretty well with it and doesn't bog down as much, and when it does I just wait it out. Don't paint in my garage often though.

What size tip is it?

#14 ·
Well I dont think its that the comp cant keep up cause I sprayed some other panels with a loaner satajet that the owner tuned for me.Sooooooo nice!&also Ive used the purple gun&got some slick test panels.I did spray a small quarter with the gun in question &got it perfect I have no idea what went wrong on the other panels

#15 ·
If you don't do a lot of painting once you know how to use the cheap purple gun, it's all you really need. It's a throw a way gun. They work good a few times and when they start to slow down you toss it. It cost more for lacquer thinner to clean the gun than a new gun cost. A fresh gun for the paint job with a back up just in case. 2 guns for about $20.

#19 ·
I use to think the same thing about the cheap purple guns. I bought more exspensive guns for painting until one messed up on me during a paint job. I didn't know what was wrong because I didn't have enough experience and it was a first time BC/CC. The base went on fine and when it came time for the clear it went on too dry. I found out the gun I was using was known to blow out the seals. I used a cheap purple gun because I had nothing left to loose. The HF gun worked excellent. That's all I use now. I can paint a car with one of those cheap purple guns no problem.

#26 ·
maybe try uping the compressors pressure, i run my compressor @ 90 psi and bring it down at the regulator on the gun. but all my compressor are gas not electric. i have a 9 gallon 5.5 hp ridgid air compressor and an IR 25 gallon 13 hp compressor for work i usually use the smaller compressor since i don't feel like changing the settings on the larger 1, i run that @ 180 psi for the air tools and the smaller is usually at 125 but i tone it down to 90 psi and i painted my whole truck with the air compressor i had to run a massive water separator because it produced lot of moisture but it would keep up with my paint gun no problem.

#31 ·
Good question but my reason not so Good...my compressor is up ona work bench that runs the length of a wall&I have a step ladder to get up there to it...Im a short sawed of sob@around 5ft5 &I have a lifted truck&my old lady had to take it to get in the truck shes only 5ft

#32 ·
I have a Campbell Housfield with 4hp and 13 gallon tank, It does ok with the cheep husky gravity feed gun for small stuff (a panel, priming, or jambs).

For the bigger stuff, (2 or more panels, and all over) I use a Croix turbine and accuspray model 60.

For a DIYer, at home mabe it would be less expensive to get a bigger compressor, with at least 80 gallon tank, 2 cylinder, 5 hp, 220 volt.

The main thing is to get the most air flow volume/min/psi. that you can afford. You want a high volume, at a decent pressure.

If you have a compressor that can keep up with 20+ CFM at 40 psi (at your altitude) it will run just about anything you have.

I keep the regulator on the compressor set at 8bar= about 120 PSI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.