more paint woahs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

more paint woahs

Ok so...I have 2 hf cheapo purple guns&the 2 gun so called pro kit from hf&Ive been using the larger gun on practice panels.The issue Im getting is there seems to be fine droplets kind of like a splatter..I get no runs but I get an almost orange peel it looks as if its orange peel but real fine&its smooth to the touch.Im thinking Im not waiting long enough between flash&the droplets are just cause the gun is dialed in Im running the
Gun@35psi@the regulator on the gun&35on the 33gal compressor I have all of this is probably wrong please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think you should read up on spraying cause there's a lot you can learn. At this point it sounds like you're not aware of the importance of the right size tips. And with HF guns it's ok with primer but to have clear lay out good you'll need to over reduce it or hammer it on. If you somehow get a glassy look it will have trapped solvents or run. If you use a better gun ( doesn't have to be the best) you will be able to achieve that gloss easier due to better atomization, without runs or trapped solvents.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroatkid View Post
Ok so...I have 2 hf cheapo purple guns&the 2 gun so called pro kit from hf&Ive been using the larger gun on practice panels.The issue Im getting is there seems to be fine droplets kind of like a splatter..I get no runs but I get an almost orange peel it looks as if its orange peel but real fine&its smooth to the touch.Im thinking Im not waiting long enough between flash&the droplets are just cause the gun is dialed in Im running the
Gun@35psi@the regulator on the gun&35on the 33gal compressor I have all of this is probably wrong please help.
what is your PSI with the trigger pulled? If you're running 35 on the gun regulator AND the compressor regulator your PSI when the trigger is pulled has got to be way too low...so low it's barely even atomizing the paint.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

You said the other day your compressor came unplugged. If that's the case, I'm guessing it's a little 110V or maybe 110V/220V 33 gallon upright oilless compressor. By the time you've sprayed for a minute with that gun, your compressor is already behind in air delivery and you're probably not getting full atomization. See what your SCFM or CFM rating is on your compressor. you need probably 14CFM for those guns. if your compressor is less than that, you'll have some of the problems you mentioned.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I think it may be the tip, but also could be a number of things. I say this cause out here all the purple HF guns come with only a 1.5 tip. I don't think they make a 1.3-1.4. It could be just out here though, not sure. Do you know what size tip it is?

I also think cyclopsblown34 has some good tidbits. With an underpowered compressor the first couple passes will be ok but will quickly bog down, noticeable in atomization and sound of the hiss.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Henry, I haven't seen one here in Missouri with less than a 1.5 tip but I've only been to Harbor Fright twice. I'm glad this young man is actually putting forth the effort and asking questions, he might be a craftsman in the making.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

I get the HF purple guns with 1.4 tips all day long. The 1.5 tips are the hard ones to find. They spray fine. Depends on the products used. For base coat reduce the presssure and crank it up for the clear. You can tell which size tip by the part number on the box. The 1.4 and 1.5 tips use different part numbers. Somebody is using those guns for paint jobs, the guns in stock at HF get depleted quick.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
two cups of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
You said the other day your compressor came unplugged. If that's the case, I'm guessing it's a little 110V or maybe 110V/220V 33 gallon upright oilless compressor. By the time you've sprayed for a minute with that gun, your compressor is already behind in air delivery and you're probably not getting full atomization. See what your SCFM or CFM rating is on your compressor. you need probably 14CFM for those guns. if your compressor is less than that, you'll have some of the problems you mentioned.
Motor-Engine: Drive Typeirect Drive Voltage:120 volts Horsepower:1.60 hp SCFM Delivery: SCFM Delivery At 40 psi:6.3 SCFM SCFM Delivery At 90 psi:5.1 SCFM Tank: Compressor Tank Capacity:33 gal. Compressor Tank Pump Style:Oil Free Maximum Compressor psi:150 psi
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

There can be lots of things wrong that are causing you problems. Do you have a good water filter on the compressor? Make sure all the fittings on the HF gun are tight, they throw those things together and you can get ones that have loose fittings. Always make sure you don't have a clogged vent on top of the cup. For base coat you want something like about 25 psi and you want something like 40-45 psi for clear. You can get the clear to flow with the HF gun.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

that could be it. I also have a compressor that isn't up to spec for painting but I can run a detail gun on it and find my SRI PRO works pretty well with it and doesn't bog down as much, and when it does I just wait it out. Don't paint in my garage often though.

What size tip is it?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:09 PM
two cups of tea

Its this kit #94572
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12134.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	67497  
Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

The 1.6 hp compresssor doesent sound like it will do the job. A compressor with at least 2 cylinders and more power won't run out of air when painting a car.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Try using the purple gun they put on sale for about $10.00 run some water in the gun to get it adjusted and spray something with the water. You will be able to see how it sprays.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
two cups of tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
that could be it. I also have a compressor that isn't up to spec for painting but I can run a detail gun on it and find my SRI PRO works pretty well with it and doesn't bog down as much, and when it does I just wait it out. Don't paint in my garage often though.

What size tip is it?
Well I dont think its that the comp cant keep up cause I sprayed some other panels with a loaner satajet that the owner tuned for me.Sooooooo nice!&also Ive used the purple gun&got some slick test panels.I did spray a small quarter with the gun in question &got it perfect I have no idea what went wrong on the other panels
Old 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

If you don't do a lot of painting once you know how to use the cheap purple gun, it's all you really need. It's a throw a way gun. They work good a few times and when they start to slow down you toss it. It cost more for lacquer thinner to clean the gun than a new gun cost. A fresh gun for the paint job with a back up just in case. 2 guns for about $20.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.