More Power from 1986 Corvette TPI Engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

More Power from 1986 Corvette TPI Engine

Hello Folks,

I have a 1986 Corvette 350 TPI engine installed in my 47 Plymouth. Nice engine, runs smooth, but I would love to get some more oomph out of it.

Any recommendations as to the most cost-effective modifications I can make? The engine is totally stock, except for the air cleaner.

I'm not looking for great gobs of horsepower, just something to tweak it beyond its factory rating of 220HP.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
Well with the early 86 corvette engine you have, GM later that year did some work on the heads & a cam upgrade, then in 88 with the corvette they changed the heads to the 113 castings & a cam upgrade, the engine is now making 240 HP. So to get more you need to continue with the heads & cam, how radical you make it depends on what you are after, 350HP, 425HP?
Good luck,
Rich
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
Hello Folks,

I have a 1986 Corvette 350 TPI engine installed in my 47 Plymouth. Nice engine, runs smooth, but I would love to get some more oomph out of it.

Any recommendations as to the most cost-effective modifications I can make? The engine is totally stock, except for the air cleaner.

I'm not looking for great gobs of horsepower, just something to tweak it beyond its factory rating of 220HP.

Thanks in advance!
The key is camshaft and compression and some head work. Going beyond that are pistons, the factory piston crown shape is not conducive to making power and not detonating the heads off.

The least expensive move would be 1.6 rockers, but for the money this is just playing on the edges of what needs to be done.

The ZZ3/4 cam 10185071 with 208/221 degrees and .474 ;lift with a 1.5 rocker is a good choice.

You'll need to mill the heads .030 inch and with a .028 gasket you can increase the squeeze to 10.0 which will work with that cam and aluminum head combo.

The L98 heads can use some porting and those factory pistons with the round dishes are horrible, but even without any changes here the cam and compression, plus a chip in the computer will make another 100 horses.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.