Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - More Q's About Sewing Threads
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanhotrodder
I would like for you to show me your experience do you have a web site ?where we as Professionals can promote and educate the everyday people who don't know people like us exist ,that can fix a car seat correctly besides the scratch and sniff glue in the burn hole type, I have been upholstering when you were in diapers ,the real difference in thread is ... your 69 has a breaking tension of a whole 10 pounds ...my 138 has a breaking tension of 38 pounds if you get in and out of a car 50 times the 69 is showing its wear and it is so thin it reminds me of the scrawny person on the beach getting sand kicked in his face ..... I joined this to offer my expertise and to lead a new prospect in this hard a## field to make it and answer his question on FAT THREAD and # 69 is not fat even tho it is a magic number!!! ck out my web even tho It is a sampling of my work (Removed commercial link) also check out Virginia Tech 's Home Page www.vatech.edu
and look for the P.L.U.G. I am currently building a enclosure for the P.L.U.G. project I learned along time ago don't box yourself in I personally love a challenge and build anything from Hot Rods to Huge 30 ft by 16 High by 16 wide enclosures going to Africa for scientists to live in ... not to be FAT HEADED but I work with thread , Leather;ultraleather;vinyl;cloth;canvas;carpet oh yeah I learned this profession before molded carpets ...I am open to learning....
No, I don't have a web site, but I can put one together this afternoon if you'd like. I started upholstering in January 1973. I worked for the 5th largest furniture company in the world in the sample department and learned hands on from some of the best people in the business about pattern making, cutting, sewing, springs, foam, and upholstering. You started in 1976, so I was producing finished products that went to national furniture shows before they showed you which end of the broom touches the floor. I'm not saying that 69 size thread is the only size to use, just that it's not as weak as you're trying to make people believe. Also, the sewing machines you advocate would be like using a rocket launcher to hunt for squirrels. Any sewing thread only needs to be as strong as the surrounding fabric. Any more than that is overkill. I'm glad to hear that you're open to learning, so am I. I also don't think I have every answer to every question and am the first to admit it. Now,........how about the two of us forget about the pi**ing contest and try to help these folks. (BTW I won't take offense to the diaper crack if you won't take offense to the broom crack.)