Hot Rod Forum banner

More seats..

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
Another question about seats.. I have a 37 Ford Tudor Slantback. I have a set of highback bucket seats from a Pontiac. I have been told by alot of people that highback seats don't look good in a Tudor. I know that I will need a riser for the seats. Does anyone first know how high the riser should be??, and what seats might look good in my car?? thanks.. Al

#2 ·
When I am figuring out my riser I just use some blocks of wood under the seat to determine what suits me..Then I build one from steel that will be the one I use. the seat tracks can be then incorporated into the riser.

As far as using the seats you have just set them in and see how they look...I have seen high back seats in early cars that looked just fine to me..

Sam

#3 ·
I agree high back bucket seats do not look good in an early Ford street rod. The height of the riser is dependent on your comfortable position. Do as suggested using blocks to get the seat to a comfortable height for you then build the risers to that dimension.

Vince

#4 ·
What has anyone used for seats?? I saw some Vette seat frames on ebay, along with another ad for the foam padding for the seats.. I am just not sure as to the height.. How high should the back of the seat be in a Tudor?? Thanks.. Al

#5 ·
Shoot for having the tops of the seat even with the bottom of the window frame. There is no set rule as to how high they sit in the car however. That is determined by the most comfortable position you decide is best for you.

After looking at numerous junk yard seats and not finding anything that I liked, plus the thought of having them re-upholstered, I sprung for a Teas split bench seat. It was pricey, but the seat is something you will be spending a large amount of time in and it must be comfortable. I do not regret the money spent for a nice seat.

Vince

#6 ·
Check out the front seats in the 47 Ford in my project journal. They are out of a Jeep Cherokee and worked out fine. If you don't like the headrests, leave them off.

#9 ·
I even like the seats that I now have in my 93 Plymouth Colt Vista. They are even the right color. I'll have to check and see if those red Pontiac high backs will fit in the colt. The Colt seats also have the tops that can be pulled out. :mwink:

#10 ·
Many of the Japanese cars have low-back seats with the pull-up headrests which can be installed for trips etc. and removed for cruising around.
We used a pair of 94 Honda Accord seats in the 32 3W Coupe. Even the 4doors have buckets and leather upholstery, capture the back seats for repair pieces that match, if necessary.
Driv er's seat is all electric except lumbar support, passenger is manual.

#11 ·
I agree. Those Honda seats are really nice. Also check out Toyota 4-runner seats. The bottom seats are interchangeable between the passenger and driver's side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.