Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - morris minor- s10 frame ??
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Frame Swap

I'll never do another frame swap unless I actually closely examine one somebody else has done. Years ago I put the 48 Jeepster (4 cyl 2 WD) on a 4 x 4 Jeep truck FC 3/4 ton Chevy V8 power, chassis. That one was easy, the frames both had the same contour, the truck was longer in the rear and longer in the front. I used a later GM P/S gear box. Popular swap for Jeeps. The big tires stuck out but the wheel base was the same. fast foreward 20 years My son started to get the jeepster back on the road, It needed a total brake rebuild, Minimum parts cost about $ 500, Then we saw a longer nose 53 pickup at a car show on a blazer , the kid said it was easy. I found a rusted blazer with 8 wheels, 4 good big tires, no engine for $ `150. We sold the 4 X 4 Jeep chassis with an OD conversion for $ 300, the scrap iron body parts for $ 50, sounds good so far. Then the fun started, to get the engine to fit with the rear axle lined up we had to move the engine, trans, T case, back 8 inches, New motor mount brackets, trans mount, new Front and Rear drive shafts, New steering shaft, New mounts for the clutch and brakes, new mounts for the E brake, Relocate the rear shock crosmember, rebuild the rear seat floor pan to clear the frame contour. Neither the blazer or jeep gas tank would fit, new rear bumper and trailer hitch, the front axle is an inch or so foreward from the jeepster location but that gives more clearance for big tires , and the longer front frame gave a good winch mounting areas.