most likley cause - I sold my scanner software? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine> Modern Electronic Engines
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Wiki Edits: 0

most likley cause - I sold my scanner software?

My 98 Ford Windstar 3.8L has a miss at low RPM/ light throttle. but at mid/wide open throttle it runs fine / plenty of power /good gas mileage.
I recently sold my scanner because of health issues so I can't retrieve real time data stream information. The local parts store pulled the codes for me which are:
P0455, (EVAP lack of flow)
P0304, (Cylinder #4 misfire Detected)
P0136, (O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0141, (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P0301, (Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected)

My history = years of service tech for GM and Jaguar but I haven't done that in years. But based on my previous OBD2 experience I doubt the 02 sensor codes are my issue on this issue.
My question = Is there a correlation between the cylinders 1&4 misfire codes on this 3.8 Ford Windstar ignition system that would point to an obvious problem?
As always my thanks for any help from you guru's on here.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Nevermind, no distributor cap (was gonna say #1 and #4 are next to each other). LATECH's your guy for this.

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
mike 96 ws6 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
old dog learning new tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Nevermind, no distributor cap
Yep, it's DIS. Thanks for your effort!!! May be LATECH will chime in for me on this. He's sure has helped me a 'TON' in the past years on here.
This is my only ride right now and I need to try to resolve this issue with minimum tools and $ so I need the help from you all.
Thanks again cobalt327!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The post cat O2 usually will not affect drivability. I would take a look at your EGR valve. If it is sticking it can cause low speed issues and random misfires. It is real common for them to carbon up and leak exhaust. It will sort of feel like a lean misfire usually.
gas into the intake stream when they are not supposed to.
The evap code also should not be causing the issues you are having

Chet
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

misfire under steady cruise is kind of a common problem with fords. most of the time i've seen it, it was with the 4.2 V-6.

a couple of things you can do to try & diagnose your problem.
unhook the EGR valve & take it for a drive & see if the miss is gone. without a scanner this can be hit or miss because you don't know if the EGR is being commanded or not.
a better way, use a long length of vacuum hose, a 3 manual way valve, & a vacuum gage.
route the vacuum hose from the EGR valve into the van & back out to the EGR vacuum line. with a manual 3 way valve set to allow vacuum to reach the EGR valve inside the van in the vacuum hose. you want to use a 3 way valve so the vacuum gets bled off from the EGR valve. put the vacuum gage on the hose going to the EGR valve.
take the van out & get it to start missing, holding steady throttle & speed, turn the manual valve to release vacuum to the EGR valve. did the miss stop? reapply vacuum to the EGR, did the miss come back?
a vacuum gage plugged into the hose between the manual valve & EGR helps so you know when vacuum is being supplied to the EGR.
you can do without the 3 way valve by using a fitting in its place, just unplug the hose.

if you find the miss comes & goes with EGR, pull the upper intake. i believe you'll find some of the EGR orifices/passages are clogged. once the upper intake is off, the EGR passages are right there and are very easy to clean, simply push something thru the ports, a #2 philips screw driver works good.
the cylinders with the miss will have the cleanest EGR passages.
if any of the orifices are missing, you will need to replace the lower intake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford3.8 lower.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	72029  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

did you get it fixed?
check the evap vacuum source. I am just wondering if, because the code says lack of flow, the vac hose has come off or is compromised. that would become a vacuum leak and would also explain the lack of flow.
the egr heater code is irrelevant after the engine warms up. it is only there to heat the o2 sensor at first start up so the ecm can get on with life as usual.
I do agree with the egr comments though. I have found that dirty or worn out egr's can cause this issue, as well as mess with the o2 sensor readings because it leans out the mixture. a leaner mix is harder to fire,that makes the ignition system work harder.maybe that is also causing the miss. what is the state of tune like? have you checked spark plugs, plug wires, pcv valve, fuel filter, air filter, throttle body and idle air control motor air passages? if you remove the egr, clamp it in a vice so the gasket surface is level,then fill up one of the ports of the valve with solvent.check to see if the solvent is gone somewhere.then the valve is leaking. if it came up into the other port then the egr valve is leaking exhaust into the intake system all the time, and leaning out the mixture. if it leaks out the back side of the diaphragm or out the diaphragm rod then it is a vacuum leak. either way you are leaning out the mixture, which can cause a surge, misfire etc. depending on how bad the leak is. also check to see if the diaphragm will hold a vacuum. simply apply vacuum with a section of spare hose (you can just suck on it for a vacuum source) and see if it will hold the vacuum. if not then you have a vacuum leak there and the egr will not open like it is supposed to. this will probably not affect performance though. vac leak on an engine with a mass airflow sensor will cause some idle issues because the maf is the computers way of telling how much air the engine is getting. a leak isn't factored in, so the engine runs lean because of that leak.
hope this helps,

Recent Modern Electronic Engines posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.