most radical sbc street set up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 PM
motorhead454's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most radical sbc street set up

I am getting ready to start a motor and was wondering what would be a good combination for building a nasty street motor. Like block, pistons, heads, cam, carb? thanks

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 AM
techinspector1's Avatar
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hemet, California, USA
Age: 72
Posts: 12,804
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanks: 746
Thanked 960 Times in 809 Posts
Big block, small block, Chevy, Olds, Cadillac, Hudson, Peugeot, Pontiac, Ford, Mopar, 3,4,5,6,8,12,16 cylinder, naturally aspirated, blown, carbureted, fuel injected, etc., etc. Just exactly what did you have in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 AM
motorhead454's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Big block, small block, Chevy, Olds, Cadillac, Hudson, Peugeot, Pontiac, Ford, Mopar, 3,4,5,6,8,12,16 cylinder, naturally aspirated, blown, carbureted, fuel injected, etc., etc. Just exactly what did you have in mind?
sbc, naturally aspirated,just on the edge of not streetable no nitrous. I would like it to sound nasty. I want to be able to bolt it up to a th-400. I want to be able to take it to the grocery store on sunday if I want, but be able to trailer it to the strip and rip it up and down the strip a few times. I appreciate any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Albany Oregon Show
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merlin, Oregon
Age: 59
Posts: 252
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Radical SBC

How much money? Do you want to buy race gas for the street and strip? How much maintenance do you truly want to do? Chevy's ZZ383 is a nice engine. Many of the large auto parts warehouse companies have ready made crate engines for a reasonable price compared to building one your self if you consider the time and possible mistakes.

Here is an example of an engine I built and sold to a friend of mine and he loves it. Runs mid 11's at the drags with a lightened Nova.

The engine is a 406 ci sbc, standard World Products block decked to 0, Ohio Crankshaft steel crank, six inch H beam steel rods, SRP (10 to 1) forged pistons, Dart Alum 215 heads (complete), World Products Motown manifold, seven quart oil pan, SFI vibration damper, SFI ring gear, Proform mini starter, MSD distrib, Comp cams XR292R solid roller pro street cam kit, Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers, Comp stud girdle, Comp true roller timing chain kit, Cloyes timing chain cover with roller cam end play adjustment, cylinder head stud kit, melling oil pump, Holley chokeless race carb 850 cfm, Total Seal Rings, Clevite 77 High-Performance Bearings, complete felpro gasket set, starter ring gear bolts and manifold bolts.

Last edited by Quarter Flash; 08-14-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 05:33 PM
motorhead454's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Flash
How much money? Do you want to buy race gas for the street and strip? How much maintenance do you truly want to do? Chevy's ZZ383 is a nice engine. Many of the large auto parts warehouse companies have ready made crate engines for a reasonable price compared to building one your self if you consider the time and possible mistakes.

Here is an example of an engine I built and sold to a friend of mine and he loves it. Runs mid 11's at the drags with a lightened Nova.

The engine is a 406 ci sbc, standard World Products block decked to 0, Ohio Crankshaft steel crank, six inch H beam steel rods, SRP (10 to 1) forged pistons, Dart Alum 215 heads (complete), World Products Motown manifold, seven quart oil pan, SFI vibration damper, SFI ring gear, Proform mini starter, MSD distrib, Comp cams XR292R solid roller pro street cam kit, Comp Pro Magnum roller rockers, Comp stud girdle, Comp true roller timing chain kit, Cloyes timing chain cover with roller cam end play adjustment, cylinder head stud kit, melling oil pump, Holley chokeless race carb 850 cfm, Total Seal Rings, Clevite 77 High-Performance Bearings, complete felpro gasket set, starter ring gear bolts and manifold bolts.
what kind of money did you spend and what was the approx horsepower? Did it sound pretty killer ? I am just wanting to know so I can start accumulating parts, so I wanted to get a parts list layed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Paul Marion
 

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Age: 51
Posts: 29
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: Nasty sbc street motor

Note: the 406. That's a stroked crank in excess of 500.00 Requiring some custom block work. It's very common providing you go to the right machinist. You'll have to go to a race/specialty machinist. Someone who's not afraid to do odd jobs. I can't see him assembling this much under 6k. You may wish to go a easier route, perhaps a stock steel crank & eagle replacement rods. Bringing your total under 5K. Yes, those Dart heads are excellent. Don't be afraid of the aluminum for streetability. The alloy is a very high quality. I've used a pair for almost a decade. Dart offers numerous runner sizes stc. Don't stray too far, it will limit your intake preferrences. I personally will avoid angle plug heads next time. They are very inconvenient in plug locations in relation to header tubes. Yes, SRP pistons are excellent for the price. I also rec the comp pro roller "steel" rockers . They cost a bit more however, wont wear out like alumuinum rockers. Always balance it & use reputable machinist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
SSedan64's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Macon, GA.
Age: 50
Posts: 6,016
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 46 Posts
406ci is usually a SBC400 with .030" overbore, 4.155 Bore X 3.75" Stroke = 406ci.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Paul Marion
 

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Age: 51
Posts: 29
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re SBC

Forgot all about the 400 small blocks. I might be in the mkt for one if someone can find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Blazin72's Avatar
You got a leaky spark tube...
 
Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Union, WA
Age: 32
Posts: 2,868
Wiki Edits: 19

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
motorhead, keep in mind that everybodys definition of "streetable" is going to be different. There are some that have 13 second cars that they only take to the track while others have street legal 10 second cars they cruise around. So just by saying you want it on the edge of being "streetable" is going to be up to your interperetation of what streetable means.

You might want to be a little more clear about what you're starting with. What car/truck is this engine for? What parts do you have now that you plan on using? Do you have a horsepower goal? Do you need it to meet a certain mpg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
motorhead454's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
motorhead, keep in mind that everybodys definition of "streetable" is going to be different. There are some that have 13 second cars that they only take to the track while others have street legal 10 second cars they cruise around. So just by saying you want it on the edge of being "streetable" is going to be up to your interperetation of what streetable means.

You might want to be a little more clear about what you're starting with. What car/truck is this engine for? What parts do you have now that you plan on using? Do you have a horsepower goal? Do you need it to meet a certain mpg?
My idea of streetable is my 85 elco ss running solid 11's at the track but yet drive it to the store every now and then. I have no parts just ambition and and going to start getting some money!!! mpg isn't even in my mind. And I would like to be 500 and above for hp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM
automotive breath's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 891
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't mind putting around on the street with a loose converter and a
low gear, you can do that with a 350. Good heads, big cam with tight lobe
separation, loose converter, sticky tires and a 4.56 gear. It will burn a lot of
gas but run real strong at the track and have that sound your talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
motorhead454's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: washington
Posts: 167
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by automotive breath
If you don't mind putting around on the street with a loose converter and a
low gear, you can do that with a 350. Good heads, big cam with tight lobe
separation, loose converter, sticky tires and a 4.56 gear. It will burn a lot of
gas but run real strong at the track and have that sound your talking about.
What do you mean by loose converter? Just how big of a cam are we talking about? What about cr of the 350 ? stock pistons, crank, rods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
automotive breath's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 891
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
With a good transmission cooler and a low gear you can get away with 5000
stall on the street. Some people hate it others love it it all depends on what
you call streetable. Solid flat tappet cam with duration ~255 degrees @ 0.050".

Stock crank and rods are good to 7500 RPM with good rod bolts, as for pistons with
a 350 you will need flat tops or domes to get the compression up close to 11:1.

High 10 second ETs @ 3200 lbs are with in reach. Put more cubic inches and
the combination doesn't have to be so radical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Paul Marion
 

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Age: 51
Posts: 29
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nasty sbc motor

500 horse streetable normally aspirated non nitrous sbc ??? Better bring a wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Paul Marion
 

Last journal entry: 1935 Plymouth Pj coupe
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Age: 51
Posts: 29
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re:Nasty sbc

Yep, you are in good hands with these guys. I'd re read a few suggestions. Back off on your hp expectency. It can be accomplished. 11's are fast. Like riding a kamakazi jap bike. Most people are very impressed with 12 & 13 second cars. They can be very streetable. W/out a price tag it can become a "pipe dream". Ok gotta go endulge in a few brews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I have grown to hate the Small Block Chevy..... an essay Centerline Hotrodders' Lounge 316 02-08-2012 10:46 PM
Correct way to set valves on sbc w/ solid flat tappit camshaft? Joshua Lee Engine 17 02-09-2011 05:55 PM
I picked up a 400 SBC and a M21 4 speed Mustangsaly Engine 22 03-05-2010 09:32 AM
What size exhaust for a street SBC 383 Harley Monster Engine 4 09-04-2007 04:50 PM
SBC Head Question Mustangsaly Engine 18 10-03-2005 03:41 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.