Hot Rod Forum banner

motor back fire

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  F-1Rodder 
#1 ·
I have a 350 chevy when motor cold runs great but when it warms up it back fires and will hardly run. I have replaced the rotor dis cap plug wires. ANY HELP???

#3 ·
Could also be a sticky valve or carbon deposits behind the valves. I used some heavy duty carbon cleaner in my 400 and it would backfire everytime I punched the gas. After the carbon worked itself out it quit. I knew that I had to run the car to remove the carbon but did not expect all the backfire. The more I drove it the better it got. I had some backfire before I did this and suspected a sticky valve or carbon behind a valve. That's why I did the cleaning. It seemed to help. A corvair trick and it seems to work on my 350 is to run the engine at about 1500 to 2000 and pour water down the carb. I did this on the 350 and it ran much smoother. I used a garden sprayer and sprayed it into the carb until it ran better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.