Hot Rod Forum banner

motor for a c/k pickup looking to go big!!!!

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  bluegmc1956 
#1 ·
i am wanting to make serious power for a street truck wanting to use a 454 any ideas

#11 ·
I was gonna say 1500 may cover the machine shop costs.another 1000 for parts, econo build , yeah you might make it.
Big blocks aint cheap , hope you have a core or you need to keep on adding.
Dont be discouraged, just be determined.

#12 ·
you may find a good core from a motorhome but some of them are a raised deck motor. I had one from a motorhome and it said HI PERF PASS on the rear of the motor back by the crankshaft hub on the block. I think this was the block with the lower deck height. Some motorhomes for some reason had these.( Mine DID) Dont know if it was original, I think it was.
I dont recall all of the performance nuances with the BBC .
You should spend some time studying the differences before you go out to buy something as you will undoubtedly end up with parts that are not what you will desire in the long run.
There are differences in heads and port sizes and different block deck heights and such. You need to ask more questions and learn more about them so you make the RIGHT choices for your build.Dont ask me I love pontiacs.Chevys belong in the rearview mirror :spank: :D :p

#19 ·
A 454 is 350-400 GROSS (not NET) hp anyways, about 250 net. A healthy stock 454 can be had for less than $1000 (i paid $300 for mine but id expect $500 to $750 for one usually) Add a few things like a cam, carb, intake and headers and you should be where you want to be. The cam alone would probably do the trick. You may not even need a new carb but buying a 750 Edelbrock would be more performance tuned than what you have now i'm sure so that would give you even more power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.