motor coufing splutting stalling after starting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

motor coufing splutting stalling after starting

hi there guys,im a newbie and 1st timer slowly tryin to fix up old 72 fairlane. i jst changed trans c4, and fixed up starter mtr, motor is a 351 cl.last week she was running nice, idle was good i had not noticed any leaks, then 3days ago she started making a weird as noise, from under rocket cvr, then it quiten down, and now shes coufing spluttering starts sounds like crap then stalls, i see puffs of gas poping up out of carb 600 holley, and up the fnt float a small leak, took plugs out scooty as, ive got no sencors, and i need to get vaccum , sorry if i sound a bit scattered,hoping some one can steer me in right direction or let me kw where to start investergating...cheers tokaanu.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:58 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokaanu View Post
hi there guys,im a newbie and 1st timer slowly tryin to fix up old 72 fairlane. i jst changed trans c4, and fixed up starter mtr, motor is a 351 cl.last week she was running nice, idle was good i had not noticed any leaks, then 3days ago she started making a weird as noise, from under rocket cvr, then it quiten down, and now shes coufing spluttering starts sounds like crap then stalls, i see puffs of gas poping up out of carb 600 holley, and up the fnt float a small leak, took plugs out scooty as, ive got no sencors, and i need to get vaccum , sorry if i sound a bit scattered,hoping some one can steer me in right direction or let me kw where to start investergating...cheers tokaanu.
It sounds like the carb might be flooding the engine.

You MUST fix the gas leak or risk burning it to the ground, I would start w/rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel filter and tuning it up. Then take it from there.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 AM

first rebuild on carb...

thanks cobalt327, jst tracked me dwn a rebuild kit,will do rebuild on weekend, holley was a 500 nt 600 my mistake... thanks let ya kw when ive finished build an tune.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokaanu View Post
thanks cobalt327, jst tracked me dwn a rebuild kit,will do rebuild on weekend, holley was a 500 nt 600 my mistake... thanks let ya kw when ive finished build an tune.
Is it a 2 barrel? I don't know of an aftermarket Holley 500 cfm 4 barrel...

Anyway, if it's an aftermarket carb (not a production Ford Motorcraft, Autolite or Holley), you can take the number stamped into the front of the choke tower and look it up here. An example of the number to look for is 1850, or 3310.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 AM

What did the noise sound like? Possible cam, rocker arm and/or valve issue too. May want to consider a compression test.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Last photo:

Is your distributor tightened down? It might of moved causing the timing to be off. If you have gas coming out of the tail pipe then one of the cylinders is not firing and the gas is being forced out the pipe. Do you hear popping? That would be excessive gas in the exhaust. Check that all the wires are connected tight at the plugs.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM

hi again carb is a 2barrel, i gave list number to partsman, he has kit for the list number....thanks 4 the info on holley carbs interesting as...1st time rebuilding a carb, but ive ben studying how they build them on line, so il take my time, an try an keep things organised thanks mate,il let ya kw when done..
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
What did the noise sound like? Possible cam, rocker arm and/or valve issue too. May want to consider a compression test.
hi there 33willys77, that noise i herd sounded like taping ratling noise then it seemed to quiet,n down, shut her off, started her up 10mins later noise still there but with an added sshhh....sshhh....sshhh sound shut her down went on line to see if i could find out whats happening, come bac with what you have posted, so now im looking to get a compression test,but i think il rebuild this carb 1st thanks man. anymore help is much apprecited.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Make sure your timing is good, carbs are not flooding over, and do a compression check. Start there.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSHENOUDA View Post
Is your distributor tightened down? It might of moved causing the timing to be off. If you have gas coming out of the tail pipe then one of the cylinders is not firing and the gas is being forced out the pipe. Do you hear popping? That would be excessive gas in the exhaust. Check that all the wires are connected tight at the plugs.
thanks johnshennouda ,i checked dizzy bolt was a bit loose,then checked all the leads they were good...but when i went to check the1 in the middle of dizzy, or though it looked tight on, i pushed dwn on lead and it went in 5mm, so i try for a start she started better than the other day, however she started stalling an all again, and i think timing is an issue too, but im a bit of a green horn so il start with rebuilding carb as cobalt327 sugested an go from there...thanks for you info, gave me a spark to her fire up even tho it wasn,t long,anymore insight mch appreciated cheers..
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Make sure your timing is good, carbs are not flooding over, and do a compression check. Start there.
thanks 33willys77, will do, il try track down compression tester,and go over my timing ,thanks tokaanu.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

After further thought, I think what you should do first is simply change out the plugs. At least the no.1 plug. Since the wire was loose and it was not firing it probably got fouled up. Very cheap fix. Start there.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 AM

fireing order not right.

hi there guys sorry for late post, gt called away for work, out a town, cheers for all the info, i looked at my timing, low and behold i had leeds going to the wrong plugs, have put them rite, cleaned up plugs,new rotor cap, new feul fillter, and getting new leeds as well, started her up and she came right and sound relly cool....still a bit a noise under rocket cover.had a bit of smoke com,n from exhaust manifold connection, pulled it out sunday donut gasket was cracked so ordered new ones,ganna chuck dem in easter.also gt rebuild kit for carb, and compression kit on the way.thanks heaps men for your help i hope if i get stuck again, and i will, i can ask for some advise thanks cobalt327 33willys77 johnsenouda kind regards tokaanu.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.