Hot Rod Forum banner

Motor&Dash cut off & right back on

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  worknprogress72 
#1 ·
My problem is with a '90 Chevrolet pickup. I just put in a high performance transmission into it a week and a half ago, and now I'm having some problems. While I'm going down the road, the motor and dash will cut off for a split second and cut right back on, and It'll keep on going down the road like nothing happened. In the last 2 days I have driven it about 100 miles and it has done this a lot, say about 100 times, and has cut off completely 3 times. The truck has stock wiring in it. Electrical stuff is not my forte, so any help in lamens would be extremely helpful, because after buying the transmission, I have little money left. Thanks!

#2 ·
Think that you better check your computer codes. Probably a conflict in the computer, whether its related to the tranny, I don't know.

You could try resetting the computer, by pulling the ECM fuse for a couple of minutes.

Could also be that a wire was cut during the tranny installation and it is shorting out occasionally.

#3 ·
stupid mistake

I found out what it was. When I pulled the starter out and put it back in when I swapped trannies, I attached the wire back onto the starter at an angle to where just a little bit of exposed wire (which I covered up immediately after I saw) was grounding out on the exhaust manifold and turning off everything electrical, my fuel injectors and the whole nine yards. So everytime I would hit a bump, Hank Williams would quit singing. Thanks anyways, it was a stupid mistake on my part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.