Hot Rod Forum banner

motor is dieseling

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  stonedchihuahua 
#1 ·
I put a freshly rebuilt 355 in my truck. The motor only has about 200 miles on it, and every now and then when I turn off the motor. My timing is only advanced about 10 degrees, so I don't think it is from having to much timing...what what cause this??? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 ·
I've had that happen a couple of times. I found the idle speed screw was holding the throttle open slightly. Backed off the screw and the problem went away. You may have to bump the timing up a bit to compensate, or readjust the idle mixture screws. Good luck !

#3 ·
Without knowing your compression ratio, I would say to bump up that octane some. I owned a late model 355 with 64cc heads in a S10 and If I didn't put high test with a splash of purple once in a while It would do the same thing, even ping bad on hard accelerations.

#4 ·
First off I would check your carb idle settings and choke... My car did this alot when my choke was screwed.. I also looked at a car to buy one time (same day I looked at the one I have) and the thing was getting wayyy tooo much gas (gas coming out of the exhaust pipes, not water, gas) and the thing idled on for 2 minutes and nothing would stop it... not even pumping the gas

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: stonedchihuahua ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.