Hot Rod Forum banner

motor frozen

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  barnym17 
#1 ·
Help my truck over heated and crack the head. I got it tow home pull both heads and find the motor is frozen won't turn at all
the only thing I try so far is pouring ATF in it and leting it sit over night but no good. This is a new 93 chevy 4.3 motor with under 5k on it it and a new 700R4. I didn't see it was over heating till it was to late my temp sender was bad. I need to save this motor what can I do?

#12 ·
Hi I not sure why it was frozen but I took the pully off the crank replace the bolts then used a bar to turn it to the left and that work. Before I try turning it to the right with the center bolt and it woundn't move at all . Now it turn good right or left . I had the starter off so I never try it with the starter only at the side of the road after it cool off, it did turn over but something was running down the batt at the same time it was running hot so it didn't turn over much. Then I seen there was water in the oil and call a tow truck . I still don't know why it got hot to start with there was no leaks on outside. I can say for sure I had just put a new trans in and had watch it good for leaks.
It had started to run bad about a hour before it got hot like it had bad gas I stop and got some dry gas for it also at the same time check for a spark plug wire off. It didn't seem to be hot at that time all the cooling system was good and it had coolant in it. Only my temp sender was bad I had just stop at a junk yard a found the right one and was going to put in that afternoon.

#13 ·
I bet it got really hot and did like posted, or you bent something... a.k.a. hydraulic'd the motor. No matter. You need to tear it down for inspection. Many people 'fix' their problems like yours without a total go through at the risk of losing it all by skimping. If coolant has entered the crankcase, chances are your rings, pistons and bearings will have been damaged, not to mention all of that goop, ala milkshake in your oil galleys and all oiling passages in all other internal parts. You can only do it right one way. JMO

#17 ·
Well you guy are right it look like bearing damage. I only pull one rod bearing the inside is not good the back side is worst I attach a pic not sure if you can tell much. my work light is broke so I can see the crank real good but it feel fine as far I can tell. Hope the rods are ok. Going to look at it more tomorrow

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.