Hot Rod Forum banner

Motor Guard stud welder and dent pulling kit?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
A local pawn shop has a Motor Guard stud welder/dent puller kit. It has both the slide hammer and the stud welder. I think the one below from amazon is the kit, but would have to go back to be sure.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorguard-JLM1500-Magna-Spot-1500/dp/B00124QB4M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

It has the two main tools, the case and a bunch of studs. They are wanting 169 or so. I know that is cheaper than new(on amazon at least), but is it a good or at least ok deal? And even more important is it a good tool? And can I do the same thing for cheaper or at least improvise the stud welder combo somehow, since I already have a welder? Will it be that much better than the cheap harbor freight unit? I just need it for very light duty work.

I have a few dents to pull on my caddy where the backside access is limited. Plus a good crease in the back driver's side door right near the front where you can't easily get to the backside. The advantage of buying it from the pawnshop is I can put it on layaway pretty cheap. They have worked with me a bunch.

I debated putting this here or in garage tools, but since it is a specific body tool I thought this was the best place.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm with DBM on this one buy it. it seems awfully cheap and a decent brand you can get replacement parts for. Harbor Fright, you're prolly stuck with a useless piece of junk that belongs in the dumpster from the get go. Plus with the pawn shop, you're supporting a locally owned business or at least local business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.