motor hard to keep running in gear - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

heads

FBIRD,
I have really come to confide in your advice, so I'd like to get your oppinion on something. I know i'll see some improvement with new heads. If I choose to go with the Brodix IK180's which I can get for 1050 new, will It be worth it?? I know I'll see some power gains, but how much should I expect??? I guess basically What I wanna know Is if i fully Port these 76cc smog heads that I have and run them on this motor, will I SEE/FEEL $1100 worth of performance, or will it just add an extra 20-25HP??? For this kinda money, If I'm not gonna gain more than 50-60 HP and TQ Its not worth that much money to me.

Also If I got the smoggers milled down to raise my CR, How far can I have them taken to???? Will this Make me unable to use the intakes I already have???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

heads

FBIRD,
here is a list of the heads I have at home.

2 sets 416 casting 305 HO (58cc 184/150)
1 set casting 3774682 (70cc chamber)
1 set casting 354434 K13 78, I am assuming this is Oct 13, 1978 (60cc)
1 set casting # 3986339 GM14 E26 71, GM57 B5 1 (74cc chamber)
1 set 882 castings (76cc 194/150)

I was thinking of going with either the 339's or the 682's. I heard the 682's can easily accept 202/160 valves, But would I really gain anything by taking them this far, or will 194/160 suffice???? Do the 682's have hardend valve seats?? Can they be drilled for accessory holes??

I'd love to be able to use the 416's but I can't afford 110 octane all-de-time. The 70 cc 682's would keep me from having to have them milled, But again this is only temporary. I also can't find any info about runner size for any of these. Which would be the most worth while to port besides the 416's and 434's????
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

advance

Also, I did the tape thing, and locked the cent. advance with wire ties... I made the mark for 36* with a white paint pen on the balancer.... The Only thing is that as I was moving the dist to attain 36 and line up my mark, the idle dropped off slightly just before the mark lined up, I would guess it was about 34* when it started dropping. It wasn't much but it was noticable.

I left it at 36 anyway like you said with the assumption that It will need it at higher rpms.... Was this the right thing to do or should I bring it back a hair and bring the idle back up?????

It is a lot more responsive though!!!! I got my new carb under warranty for the 2nd time now. The papers say that they Increased Jet size, put a 5.0 powervalve in it, and a weaker spring in the secondary. However, I put it on and It dies in gear even sooner than the other one did. The other one I could get to stay running as long as I didn't sit for too long. This one is almost undrivable, It dies the instant you put it in gear If your foot is on the brake. I did get it out of the garage and down the road one time with the new carb and timing, and It will actually do a pretty nice burn out now that the secondaries are opening, But its In desperate need of the higher stall.

Any Ideas as to why It dies sooooo much quicker with this carb when I put it in gear?????????? I thought It would do better but Its much worse until you floor it.....I'm gonna try my best to get the stall in this weekend, but just my luck, I gotta go to the bone yard and find a radiator for my daily driver truck... I got off work this morning (3rd shift BLAH) and that dang thing is leaking anti-freeze everywhere, so I'm in the wifes car now and I HATE IT!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Last photo:

heads

FBIRD,
Did you forget about the dome pistons?? I'm not tryingto contradict you cuz you have much more expierience than I, but I have to correct you. You stated that my CR would be 10.18:1 with a 66cc chamber. This can't be right, cuz you said it would be 10.2:1 with a 71cc and a .015 gasket. Kieth Black has these pistons as 11.1:1 with a 64cc head. Please double check the calculations and re-advise me cuz I don't think I'l be able to use the 416's on pump gas with these dome pistons.

Also, I do already have one of the 416's about 1/2 way ported. I need to find out what kind of apoxy I can use to fill the huge gauge in the intake runner where the rocker stud comes through. what did you use on yours?? I'm also havinga lot of difficulty getting the small area in the bowls on one side of the valve guide. It is too tight for any of my burs to fit in there. I've already spent $385 on burs, cartrige rolls (sanding), various grinding stones and a new high peed electric die grinder. This is an expensive hobby, but if It works and I do well It'll be worth it. I'll post some photos soon of my progress to see what you think of my work.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.