Motor identification needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Motor identification needed

What's up guys, new to the site so I'm really excited to see what kind of information I will get on here.

Any who, I just purchased a 1985 Monte Carlo SS and I just received a motor from my father in law that he wants to sell to me for $2,000. He claimed it was a 383 stroker and so did the mechanic that I picked up the motor from. So I went ahead and got it but have not paid it of yet. I put in the at just to test it turned on and it worked. Sweet! Now I took it out again to send my MC off to paint.
Sitting here and looking at it, I start thinking "is this really worth $2,000." Hell with that much money, I can damn near build myself one. So I go ahead and ask my father in law, to try to get info on this motor but he doesn't even know what has been done to it. He said it came out of a 55 pickup truck that was built right. But he has no clue of internals or what kind of work has been done to this thing. So now I am trying to figure out what motor I really have.

Anyway, I have determined it is a 350 block? I think. Help me out of you guys know anything of this. Casting numbers are (40 GM 3970010). It is being backed up by a TH 350? Casting (8640830) again let me know if I am wrong please!
So from when I got the motor I saw it has an Edelbrock Aluminum Intake. NASCAR edition. Part Number (75013). It has a Petronix Flame Thrower distributor. With a MSD coil Blaster SS. Motor came with Hooker Super Comp shorty headers but didn't fit in my car so I have some extra Hooker Comp long tubes I can put in with them. Has a I believe, Mr. Gasket fuel pump but not too sure. Comes with pulleys and has nice valve covers with nice brackets for the MSD spark plug cables. Has a Demon carb, not sure the size of it but has 110 jets. The transmission was stuck on to a gennie shifter that I took out so I'm guessing it was something good. As fr as everythin else that may be needed to find out what this motor is or transmission or if this combo is worth $2000, please let me know! I am desperate to find this out as I do not want to pay for it if it's not what they say it is. Please get back to me. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 AM

So I popped the valve covers off and I just see numbers 14022601. From what I can see, they are 305 heads right? No way for this to be a 383? Let me know guys please. Have a video of the motor when it was on. That I will be trying to post but not sure if that can determine what it is.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Anyone?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey,

This thread should be of some help: SBC 350 / SBC 383: Verification Tips and Methods.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM

for the price of gaskets you know what you have.standard 383 has a stroke of 3.75 inches. Is it balanced? Hows the timing chain? what exact cam is it? are the pistons forged or cast? what valves are in there? whats the part number of the carb?110 jets are huge,,,, how do you know what size of headers to buy?

Tags
383, engine identification

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.