Motor Mount Know-How needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 10:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow Motor Mount Know-How needed

Im in the process of building a 54' Plymouth Belvedere and it's been front clipped with a 70's Camaro frame. Well I picked up a 360 for it yesterday and need to know what options I have as to mount the motor in the car. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Easiest thing would to go "Chevy" power...........................there goes the Chevy guy in me again..................

You are probably going to have to make up mounts to make the 360 go in the Chevy frame. Drop the engine in where you want it and you will be able to see what you are going to have to do. You can fab up cardboard templates and then make from steel.
Shouldn't be too ahrd.

Budget RVs
Old 11-29-2004, 12:44 PM

yea, thats what i figured but i was wondering if i could use some existing mounts of a certain setup and have it work with my setup...so to speak. maybe a little mix and match action, if you will.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

engine mounts

Contact Speedway Motors in Lincoln Nebraska.

They have a web site; http://speedwaymotors.com
Old 11-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

you need to rethink this one. i like crysler too ,this could be a disaster.

whatever you are saving from having the 360 motor to build, you are gonna spend doing this conversion.

wait is this a camaro front ..or plymouth belvidere

Last edited by spinn; 11-30-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

360 mopar

Take some good measurements, compare your oil pans between the origional engine and the 360. Measure the distance between the engine mounts on your engine. Measure your frame rails to see how much room you have between them. The longitudinal measurement shouldnt be a problem as the origional 6 is a good deal longer than your 360. Remember, your 54 Plymouth was made with a V-8 in them from the factory.

http://www.moparmuscleclub-sa.org/Te...ngine_swap.htm

Here is a link that might be of good assistance.
It may well be a lot simpler than a lot of doom and gloomers think.

Above all, dont let it get you down. The truth is it wont cost you any more to put your 360 in it than it would to put in any other brand engine, and with the 360, at least you will be corporate pure.

I am thinking that if you can find a good set of frame mounts from a Dart or Valiant or one of those size cars, along with the trans crossmember, you may well be right on the money.
It might take no more than a little grinding, and some minor cutting with the gas axe.
You didnt note whether you plan to run the stock trans.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:06 PM

thanks for the ideas...as far as the transimission is concerned. i'll be using an 727 to transfer the power to the rear. by chance..anyone have any suggestions on where i could pick up some frame mounts and K member, alone?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

frame and K mounts

I would suggest going to a salvage yard and get them from a later model midsized MOPAR, that had a small block V-8 engine, with the same or close to the same frame rail width as your project car. Take your tape measure with you. Be sure to observe where your current frame mounts are located. You might even want to compare the engine mounts for your 360 with those on the 6 pack.
Running the Torqueflite will aleviate a lot of fabrication of shift linkage etc.

The Camaro stub is designed for use with a rear sump oil pan. IF one is available for your 360 ,you might be able to locate a rear sump pan for it. Since the MOPAR is a "mid sump" setup, it may be intirely possible you can slide your engine back a couple inches to clear the Chevy cross member. If that isnt possible, you could notch the Chevy front cross member up to as much as half way from the rear to the front, giving you the pan clearance you need. Just be sure to box in the area you have cut, to restore the structural integrity. I have run into this problem with Ford Engines, due to the front sump on them, til I got wise to the mid sump pans, on pickups. This required a lot less cutting and fabrication on the front cross member.
Measure 6 times and cut once.

Last edited by Max Keith; 11-30-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.