Motor oil in rearend in a pinch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Murderator

Last journal entry: Brackets, Stories and the future
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Motor oil in rearend in a pinch

can you run motor oil in a rear differential in a pinch?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2004, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Anything is better than nothing. But as each is designed for it's own purpose and should be used that way.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Gear oils have a 'climbing' ability which helps move it to the outer ends of the hosing to lubricate the wheel bearings, I'm not sure motor oil and the lighter viscosity would do that. I played with a display at the local auto parts store for a product I can't recall, and was very impressed with the climbing action that occurs.

I'm sure centrifugal force would move motor oil around, but as you put it, "in a pinch", I'd agree with Pony, only to get yourself home for a short distance.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:28 AM

Last photo:

I used some 30w in a rear end but only long enough to drive it to a station for some gear lube, maybe 5 miles, real easy. Never had a problem with it.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Murderator

Last photo:

well, I guess the front differential (4WD) was leaking...making some awful noises so it was probably already toasted. My pops was probably a couple hundred miles from his destination, told him to pop the motor oil into the front differential and have at it...hopefully it won't seize up...it didn't, he made it home. I'm just glad that everything we did (new motor/trans/transfercase/exhaust) held up for the trip...and it ended up being something that we had nothing to do with.

We didn't have the front drive axle hooked up anyways. I told him, he could probably open up the front differential and remove some gears and be able to drive it without the nasty noises until he had time to get it repaired...whether this is true or not, I don't know, just a hypothesis I have.

Anyone have any experience with turning a front differential into a "roller"?
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:

I'm not a 4 WD mechanic but I'd talk to someone in the know about how the front outer ends get lubricated. If it's a solid differential, similar to the rear, I'd be concerned how the front outer bearings and seals are getting lubrication. Without the ring and pinion churning things up the lubrication wouldn't have any way to work it's way out to the bearings and seals. If it had independent axles or stub shafts, that would be a different story.

It's something to look into though.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

spoze you could use some 60wt valvoline racing oil. I love that stuff, I bought a quart when I was storing my motor, when the bores were bare. Stuck like glue, great stuff.

K
Old 08-13-2004, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Large tractors and some low speed industrial vehicles use hydraulic fluid ( about 20w) thru-out their gearboxes,rear ends, and hydraulic systems. Short term use (emergency) should not hurt..
Old 08-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 68NovaSS
I played with a display at the local auto parts store for a product I can't recall, and was very impressed with the climbing action that occurs.
You're not the only one, and it was most likely the Lucas oil display.

Lightweight viscocity oil can be used when the only other choice is nothing, and for a very temporary time.

The solid front axle you are referring to has NO capability of getting gear lube out to the ends of the axleshafts, as there are seals just outboard of the differential carrier bearings the tubes are open from that point outward.

As for the "roller" axle question, either turn the hubs "if equipped" to the unlock position, or yes, you can remove the axleshafts and ring and pinion gears.

If the axleshafts are removed you MUST either re-install the outer portion of the axleshafts in the spindle and re-attach the half shaft to the hub, or have a plug made to seal up the axleshaft sized hole to keep dirt and water out of the spindle bearings.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Murderator

Last photo:

Thanks for the help guys...you really have saved my arse over the past several days.

For anyone wondering, my pops drove from Cape Cod Mass to Niagara Falls NY yesterday...only problem ended up being the front differential. He said he checked the fluid before he left here and it was a little low, but liveable. Near Albany he started hearing some nasty noises...he narrowed it down to the front differential. Unable to locate heavy weight gear oil on the highway, he used motor oil and drove slowly the rest of the way to Niagara Falls. He made it safely, but we're both pretty confident the front diff is toasted.

I'm fairly happy. It would have been nice if the front diff wasn't smoked, but we didn't play with it at all...so there's no love lost. The motor, tranny and transfer case worked flawlessly. I took a short ride in the truck before he left and it sounded good...drove good, shifted good...can't really ask for much more.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.