motor questions, suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Chevy stuff makes a Ford Tough

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

motor questions, suggestions

I have a '69 Nova that had motor problems and now I need to build a new one. I found a replacement motor, but is basically a stock rebuild. The motor is a 350 with stock punched cylinders(0.020 over) that has stock replacement pistons and I was planning on putting my cam, heads, and intake on it. I have a Comp Cams Magnum 280, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap, and stock '76 heads off a pickup with 1.94/1.60 valves and are most likely 76cc. All these parts were on a 350 that was punched .060 over. What effects would this cause going from a .060 over to a .020 over? I am running a set of Comp Cams Magnum 1.52 roller rockers, but also have a set of Erson 1.60 roller rockers. If I installed the Erson's would I have to put screw in studs on the heads and would they affect my performance (the springs are matched for the cam)? Could I use both for a 1.5/1.6 combo or just use one or the other?

My first goal is to get a new set of heads, but am in query of what to get. This car is an everyday driver and would like to keep the gas prices down by using less than 92 octane everytime I fill up. I've been told that with the setup I have now I'm running about 8.5 cr and would like to boost that some. Will 58 cc heads put my compression ratio too high, or would 64 cc heads do just fine? Also, I'm on a pretty tight budget so was most likely lookin for some used heads or anything under $600 complete. I've seen that ProToplines cast iron heads run for about $470, but am not sure if that's each or a pair.

I've also heard about putting a 327 crank in a 350 for a wicked combination. Has anyone had experience with this and what would need to be done to accomplish this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM

head suggestion

if you want to keep the costs down on the heads i bought a set of vortec heads with 600 lift springs and screw in studs from tri-state cylinder head for $500 including shipping. contact jim @1-800-270-0095 he may be able to help you out.
keith
Old 04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Go with 64 cc heads. What brand/material you get will be dictated by your budget. If your Compression ratio is 9-9.5 you should be okay with Iron heads and running pump gas that is less than 92 octane.

Vortec heads would be the cheapest route as far as something that flows decent, but you'll have to change your intake as well. They need some work to be able to handle higher lift values. Might look into some Darts on ebay. Save up a few hundred more and pick up a decent set of heads. Dont be stingy when it comes to them .

Forget about destroking your engine. A 350 isn't that big to begin with, and in a street setup you'll never see the added RPM potential of a destroked engine. You'll end up with less power throughout your useable RPM range.

Save the 1.6 rollers for when you get some aftermarket heads.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69novarodr
I've also heard about putting a 327 crank in a 350 for a wicked combination. Has anyone had experience with this and what would need to be done to accomplish this?

That would be called a............. "327". The 302 Z-28's, 327's and 350's all use a 4" bore block the difference is in the stroke. I like 'em all but for a street motor I give the nod to the 350.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

valve size

what do you think would work best with my combo? Should 1.94/1.50's do the job or would 2.02/1.60's work any better?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

What heads are you putting on? Aftermarket? Stock? Give us the brand/specs for aftermarket or the casting numbers for stock.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

I want to put on some aftermarket heads, most likely some Pro Topline's. I was looking at the Pro Torker's because they are in my price range and have mostly what I'm looking for. I want to run a 64cc head according to the previous guys to raise my compression. I have heard great things about Pro Topline so that's what I was looking for. If there is any other place or brand that has heads for around my price range (-$550) then I would definitely look into them. As for stock replacement heads, I don't really know what castings to look for. I don't really want to get vortec heads because I don't want to have to buy another intake, but if there's a great set for cheap enough I'll look at those too.

Another thing, how high of a compression ration can you go while still being able to run off of 87 octane gas?

Last edited by 69novarodr; 04-13-2005 at 06:52 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.