Motor Swap on a '53 pontiac chieftain?!?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 04:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Motor Swap on a '53 pontiac chieftain?!?!

I've recently purchased a '53 Cheiftain and it has a substaintial knock in the upper end of the straight 8 which is causing some of the valves not to open. The question I have is: What would it take to swap the straight 8 with a small block V-8? Also, any idea as to what would be causing the knock? First guess I'm thinking cam lobe problems as I am very familiar with V-8's, but the knock sounds more like a spun bearing. I've never encountered a straight 8 before...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thank yah much!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

Swap?

That would be A+ sweet with a 400-455 Pontiac and 400Turbo
Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Is it a tick or a deeper knock? If its a knock, it's not the cam or valve train....it's the main or rod bearings. You can find out approximately where the knock is with a mechanics stethoscope or even a broomstick against your ear.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

http://www.egge.com/ those fellows have the parts if you decide to rebuild the engine that you have..Sounds like it needs to be torn down and done to me as there may be more than one issue..

If you decide to do a swap it will take some custom motor mounts and trans cross member as well as a driveshaft to get it all to work well..that can be very difficult or not so difficult depending on your fabrications skills..

Sam
Old 12-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

There are many options for a car like this for a swap. Like mentioned before, if you want to keep it Poncho, a 400 or 455 would be good. If money is an issue, I'd be tempted to measure the rear track width and find a suitable donor being parted out (maybe a Tempest, or Firebird, or Nova) and swap in the entire driveline. Shouldn't be too tough to do....lots of room. Have fun.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Just for your information, the rear tread, on a '53 Pontiac, is 59.05". This is from "Standard Catalog of AMERICAN CARS 1946-1975".
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

I have a 4.8L LS1/4L60E in my '51 Pontiac "Tin Woody" wagon, and an LT1/4L60E in my '48 Pontiac convert. Prior to the LT1, the '48 had a 472 Caddy/Turbo400, and prior to that, a 230 Chev six and Powerglide. I can from experience tell you that anything you can think of will fit in your old Poncho's engine bay! Check out my photo album for pics of each, and what we do with 'em.

The small block Chev is an easy swap. Super simple to make engine mounts using the old fashioned flathead style rubber insulators from Speedway (or any other vender). The stock radiators will keep anything cool if they're in OK shape, and you don't even need to think about changing the rear end, unless you want posi. Use an overdrive trans like the 4L60 or a 200R4, and you'll get good economy, and it'll be quick too.

I did swap the rear end in the convert, used the donormobile Caddy Fleetwood (a '94). A full size rear fits perfectly, I'm running 235/75R 15 tires, with the original skirts. A F or A body would be too narrow. OK under a Chev, as they are about 3 inches narrower than the Pontiac body/frame. I've had both...

Have fun!

Brian

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.