Motor Tranny Confused - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Motor Tranny Confused

Hey guys, im new here. Im so confused right now too. I just did my first engine swap. Heres what is got. A 76 Camaro, with a th350 tranny.

Installed a new 383 stroker, I pulled both and put the two together before putiing back in the car

I was able to turn the crank by hand to get the torque converter to the flexplate. Then tightened down the tranny and we stuck her back in the car.

Once back in the car and bolted down, I needed to turn the crank again to get the fuel pump pushrod in. When I went to turn the crank after the tc and trannys been installed it will not turn! Im confused on why its doin this and what I need to do?

Another piece of info I have. I bought a converter for a non locking th350. After pulling my tranny out, I noticed I have 2 wires coming out of my tranny on the driver side, and after taking the pan off, I have ground wire on the inside. So now im thinking I may have a locking th350, but I am not sure. So im confused here as well.

If I do have a locking, and my wires are not hooked up, as it has been for years, will my non lockin converter work on it, or by me having possibility of me having the wrong converter be causing all my problems?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM

take out the spark plugs to make it easier to deal with turning the engine either way,for starters
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

"was able to turn the crank by hand to get the torque converter to the flexplate. Then tightened down the tranny"
This bothers me. Very often when a transmission is taken out the torque converter will come out slightly. Just enough to disengage the "front pump". If you don't reseat the converter into the transmission it will bind down on the pump drive hard enough to make the engine feel locked up. Sometimes the force of tightening down the bellhousing bolts when the converter isn't seated properly is enough to break the pump. THis sort of thing actually happens a LOT.
Properly installed, you should have be able to bolt the transmission straight to the engine. Afterwards and during you you be able to spin the converter with one finger. It should never bind and never actually touch the flexplate until you tighten the converter bolts.
If any of that sounds like it might apply, take a shot. Take the transmission out enough so you can manhandle the converter to seat in one more "notch". IE, if you take the converter all the way out it has to seat in three times. THe third one is the pump and can be tricky.
It's possible the transmission could have been damaged and you may need the services of a transmission shop. They'll know what to do as they will have seen this many times before.
And lastly, your problem could also be something completely different.
The Following User Says Thank You to GypsyR For This Useful Post:
tygambit (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
take out the spark plugs to make it easier to deal with turning the engine either way,for starters
Plugs r out, and the crank still would not turn. I remember when we did seat the converter, I only remember 2 thunks, not 3. We worked with it forever for a 3rd but it never came. So we assumed it was fully seated. But seems like if it went in any farther it would be to far away from the flexplate. Because we did have to pull the converter out just a hair to meet up with the flexplate.

Could a possibility be over maybe being a non lockup tc on a lock up tranny. But again i may have a non lockup tth350, Im really confused on how to tell the 2 apart
Old 07-08-2013, 02:53 AM

Last photo:

This site has a picture of both versions of th350 input shafts.

Turbo350only.com build-your-own automatic transmission TH350 THM350 torque specs and parts Chevrolet Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac turbo 350
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Unbolt the converter from the flex plate.....you should be able to spun the converter then....If not, it is not seated
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

With the tranny fully against the block, there needs to be about 1/4" of clearance between the torque converter and the flexplate. If not, the converter isn't fully seated and damage can occur to the pump. So, the tranny case has to be tightened to the block BEFORE the converter is connected to the flexplate, else problems can occur.

In some odd cases, a manual trans pilot bearing left in the end of the crankshaft might be interfering w/the converter, keeping it from fully seating.

More here.

To check this you need to unbolt the flexplate from the converter and see if the converter will push rearward enough that it no longer touches the flexplate (1/8 to 1/4"). If you have clearance, while the converter's disconnected try to turn the engine over. If it turns, the problem lies w/the tranny. If you don't have clearance between the converter and flexplate you need to pull the tranny out so you can inspect the converter lugs and pump gears.

The TH350C lockup torque converter tranny has a different input shaft. If you can remember, the lockup shaft has a shiny unsplined end w/an O-ring (see below). The TH350C has an electrical connector as well, driver side. You cannot use a non lockup converter w/a TH350C tranny and vice versa.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

you need to tighten down the flex plate bolts evenly too.. I destroyed the front pump in my TH350c because I didn't.

using a prybar, LIGHTLY push the torque converter against the flex plate. don't force it. it should slide easily.
thread the first bolt in only far enough that it will clear the housing of the transmission when you rotate the crank.

put the other two in the same way.. when you come back around to the first one, tighten it down finger tight.. do the other 2.

go around the circle one more time torquing them to spec.

if you put one in, and torque it, then move on to the second one, the flex plate and converter won't be aligned correctly, and bad things will happen.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

The locking and non locking trannys and converters are NOT compatible. Your converter is not seated and you are applying pressure on your tranny pump. Hopefully you have not ruined it. You should have felt the converter drop into place and have about 1/4" to 3/8" of gap between the flexplate and the converter when the trans is bolted up. You need to separate the trans from the motor and change the converter. Hopefully you didn't destroy the front pump.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.