Motor Trends 2013 Car of the Year - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Motor Trends 2013 Car of the Year

Got to love it. I've been preaching about automotive trends of the future on this site for awhile now.
2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend

The CG of the Tesla S is the same as the Ford GT mid engine $175K 2006 model.

And here is why, the batteries are below spindle height.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Ignore this, I'm just trying to change my "last photo" window. It doesn't work in the off topic header.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

2013 car of the year.. sure.. an overpriced, car from a company that has no service structure for their vehicles, and parts that they don't stock in 24 months..
and is powered by, wait for it, wait for it.. coal fired powerplants that obama is bankrubting out of bizness,, and with a grid that can't handle the electrical loads now without rolling black/brown outs..
that will only get worse as all these coal fired plants go off line..
ha 2013 car of the year my *****
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
BruceKoukalaka (12-10-2012), johnnyg (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it together.
Last photo:

You are saying what a lot of us are thinking. BTW I'm surprised their "car of the year" isn't some japanese no class junker this year.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

The Tesla S goes hand in hand with the Smart Grid that is so important. Electricity costs what it does because a very expensive infrastructure has to be built to handle peak demands. These cars offer a means of storage, you charge when demand and rates are low, commute to work and return home when demand and rates are the highest. All the home charging stations are set up as a bi-directional units, you take from the grid at 11:00PM to 5:00 AM at say 0.09 per kw-hr charging your batteries and at 6:00 PM when demand is high you help the power company by selling at 0.18 per kw-hr. This is a win-win, the power company gets to flatten out demand and not have to build so many peaking plants and you get your power for your car and part of your home usage for free.

This is how the new Smart Grid will work. Instead of cyclic highs and lows throughout a 24 hour period, it will be a more even and constant demand.

Plus, it prevents blackouts for the power company and should one occur due to weather, you have 84 kw-hr stored for quietly powering your home for a week.

Last edited by deckofficer; 12-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Nothing is FREE..
They will find a way to charge you..
So did you put in your order for one yet..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Nothing is FREE..
They will find a way to charge you..
So did you put in your order for one yet..
I'm kinda thinking about it. The longest range option is less than my V's cost. But since the future will be electric, I'm not sure if the first serious performance electric sedan will be a future collectible like my CTS-V.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm kinda thinking about it. The longest range option is less than my V's cost. But since the future will be electric, I'm not sure if the first serious performance electric sedan will be a future collectible like my CTS-V.
Wishful thinking..
I really don't see anything be a collectible that's being made today..(Maybe a few)
I don't see a CTS-V being one of them.. But hey !!! You never know..

Future being electic... I think they still have a ways to go for that..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Wishful thinking..
I really don't see anything be a collectible that's being made today..(Maybe a few)
I don't see a CTS-V being one of them.. But hey !!! You never know..

Future being electic... I think they still have a ways to go for that..
Your right, you never know. Back in 1970, the hemi in a Dodge was a $1400 option over the 383 V8, so production numbers were very low. In 2011, the CTS-V was a $35,000 option over the base CTS (yes, you could buy 2 CTS for the price of one CTS-V), and the numbers produced with a stick are lower than the Dodge hemi, and we all know what a survivor, numbers matching, Hemi Cuda sells for today. Even Jay Leno proclaimed in his Popular Mechanics feature that a stick V would be a future collectible.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Well...its a nice lookin car, kinda resembles one of my favorites...the 2007 maserati quatroporte.
Probably boogies pretty good too.
I like the Idea of electric, and it has and deserves a place in our country too.
You can charge the car at home with a windmill, if you like. Might take a bit but nonetheless.
If I had acreage, I would have a couple windmills to fill a small lake nearby, and I would run a small hydro with the water as needed.
I wouldnt say that the electric car is our future, it may or may not be, but I do believe it is here to stay.
Now..if we can just get Mr Obummer to stop killing off jobs in the energy sector......
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Well...its a nice lookin car, kinda resembles one of my favorites...the 2007 maserati quatroporte.
Probably boogies pretty good too.
I like the Idea of electric, and it has and deserves a place in our country too.
You can charge the car at home with a windmill, if you like. Might take a bit but nonetheless.
If I had acreage, I would have a couple windmills to fill a small lake nearby, and I would run a small hydro with the water as needed.
I wouldnt say that the electric car is our future, it may or may not be, but I do believe it is here to stay.
Now..if we can just get Mr Obummer to stop killing off jobs in the energy sector......
That is what I was trying to place my finger on, a Quatroporte. I knew those lines had a hint of familiarity to me.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
The Tesla S goes hand in hand with the Smart Grid that is so important. Electricity costs what it does because a very expensive infrastructure has to be built to handle peak demands. These cars offer a means of storage, you charge when demand and rates are low, commute to work and return home when demand and rates are the highest. All the home charging stations are set up as a bi-directional units, you take from the grid at 11:00PM to 5:00 AM at say 0.09 per kw-hr charging your batteries and at 6:00 PM when demand is high you help the power company by selling at 0.18 per kw-hr. This is a win-win, the power company gets to flatten out demand and not have to build so many peaking plants and you get your power for your car and part of your home usage for free.

This is how the new Smart Grid will work. Instead of cyclic highs and lows throughout a 24 hour period, it will be a more even and constant demand.

Plus, it prevents blackouts for the power company and should one occur due to weather, you have 84 kw-hr stored for quietly powering your home for a week.
ya, when all these feel good yuppies start charge'n their crapboxes the rates for every familys gonna go up. and you'll not be just looking at that high cable bill.. the light bill will go into outerspace..
only a FOOL ,thinks the utilities will keep the rates the same once these have 10% market share.. "these" meaning any car that needs a charge.. unlike the gas station that has others fighting for you biz.. the utilities are the only game in town.. it's them or no one.. silly consumers that think this is a great idea.. can't wait till these battery packs start failing in big numbers.. and no one wants to touch the battery... environmental charge will be in the thousands..
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
ya, when all these feel good yuppies start charge'n their crapboxes the rates for every familys gonna go up. and you'll not be just looking at that high cable bill.. the light bill will go into outerspace..
only a FOOL ,thinks the utilities will keep the rates the same once these have 10% market share.. "these" meaning any car that needs a charge.. unlike the gas station that has others fighting for you biz.. the utilities are the only game in town.. it's them or no one.. silly consumers that think this is a great idea.. can't wait till these battery packs start failing in big numbers.. and no one wants to touch the battery... environmental charge will be in the thousands..
You don't read and comprehend very well do you? What part of flattening the demand for electricity do you not understand? Have you even read what the new Smart Grid is all about? I know your only purpose is to argue and be a troll, but unlike your political views, now your in an arena that is black and white. Are you so accustomed to gas prices and their swings that you equate energy in the form of flowing electrons to be the same? Unlike gasoline, where you are at the mercy of the oil companies because you are unable to refine your own fuel, that isn't the case with electricity. You are aware that solar panels are at $1 per watt? The fact that you can produce and store your own electricity will keep the power company from price fixing. Their competition is the consumer, you and I. Furgal, you need to get a clue, or at least ask questions for the things you have no understanding of. I should have never have taken you off my ignore list.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
You don't read and comprehend very well do you? What part of flattening the demand for electricity do you not understand? Have you even read what the new Smart Grid is all about? I know your only purpose is to argue and be a troll, but unlike your political views, now your in an arena that is black and white. Are you so accustomed to gas prices and their swings that you equate energy in the form of flowing electrons to be the same? Unlike gasoline, where you are at the mercy of the oil companies because you are unable to refine your own fuel, that isn't the case with electricity. You are aware that solar panels are at $1 per watt? The fact that you can produce and store your own electricity will keep the power company from price fixing. Their competition is the consumer, you and I. Furgal, you need to get a clue, or at least ask questions for the things you have no understanding of. I should have never have taken you off my ignore list.
buddy they should've updated the grid in YOUR state 15 years ago.. didn't happen then and when and IF they do it, it would've been to small 5 years ago..
no, fool, the troll isn't me.. I'm correct. you're sucking on a fatty, thinking otherwise.. where you THINK this powrs gonna come from.. with 139 power plants going off line in 2013 because of obummer and the epa.. wake up..
Old 12-10-2012, 06:11 PM

Last journal entry: old setup pic-
Last photo:

Well, I'm not going to speak on the power plants, I'm not an engineer and won't pretend to know the efficiency of electric power vs. liquid fuel - but i did drive one last week.
My sister-in-law purchased the model s. I commute in a hemi Charger (07) and own a stroked 489 big block '57 Chevy, so obviously I tend to like a car with some performance. This Tesla will sneak up on you. I have never owned a high end luxury car, so maybe I'm easily impressed in that department, but this car has every option this old guy could think of, and then some.
Driving with no engine sound is eerie for me, especially with a performance vehicle. Quotes go from 4.6 to 4.0 for 0 - 60, and somewhere in the low 13s in the quarter. That's something for a car this size, and one of the quickest American production vehicles.
I floored it from 0 - to about 75. Kind of them to let me treat their +100k car (after options) like that. Wow - the only noise was the sound of the tires on the road. No burnout, just a very strong and steady pull with no gear change interruptions. -Quicker than my Charger, but I had to let them down a bit and tell them the '57 would cream it.
The ride is butter smooth while still handling the corners very well. The car itself is about the same physical size as the Charger, but both the "hood" and trunk have huge storage areas totaling up to storage probably equal to a small SUV.
Obviously I was impressed with the car. - Oh this one has the 300 mile range and a small device they have on their garage outlet times the charging to happen during the less expensive hours while they sleep.
I say Tesla has done very well for themselves. This is a "new" American auto manufacturer. We need to support that! -They are young, ambitious and provide competition for not just the big three, but the foreign car makers as well. The company is local to me and hence I may have some bias, but it's helped the local economy and created a lot of much needed jobs.
Soon the mid sized -and mid priced cars will be released, I'm wishing them great success.
The Following User Says Thank You to ratpackin For This Useful Post:
deckofficer (12-10-2012)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.