Hot Rod Forum banner

motor wont start spark plugs have oil on them

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Invstr396 
#1 ·
about a week ago i went to start my car and it woundnt fire up it would turn over but no fire. i pulled the spark plugs and they were had oil on them. i got new spark plugs they lasted about 2 days then my car wouldnt start again so i pulled the spark plugs and they had oil on them like the old ones. i was told it might be bad piston rings, is there something else that would cause this to happen. thanks

#10 · (Edited)
the plugs are bosch i cleand them the other day and put them back in so i could get my engine warm to do the dry compression check i didnt do the wet compression check not sure what that is or how to do it. the plugs were black and im pretty sure it was oil. i started it today it doesnt really smoke little if any. when i go to start it takes awile to get it started the first time then i turn it off and go to start it up it starts up with a quick turn of the key.not sure if that tells you anything but just thought i let you know. thanks

#11 ·
First off, throw the Bosch plugs in the trash and get so AC or Champions. We have had a ton of issues with them lately. Are you sure its oil and not carbon, could be wrong heat range or a faulty carb or choke. Compression sound like it is reasonable. Make sure your PCV is working. Is your oil level going down. Try to fil it to exactly 1 of the lines on the stick and check it after a few days.

#12 ·
Oil on Plugs?

Does this 350 have a Q jet? If so, have you checked for the infamous Q-jet leak down problem? The carb leaks gas from the bowl down after sitting for while (couple of days usually) and is a beast to start, but once it starts and runs it'll start back up easily till it sits a while. I'm no carb expert I just had this problem with similar indications. (I wish I could find an EFI that looked like a 7026200 QJet)

Fix Qjet leak

For Me:"Carburetor is a French word that means 'Leave it alone bone head'"

#14 ·
sure its oil?

seems to me that oil fouling on all 8 sparkplugs from just sitting would be rare,
if its a black sooty coating its gonna be fuel fouling, your compression reading seem even and for a mild cammed stock compression 350 chevy I think they are reasonable,
let us know what kind of carb you have and also when it starts and runs does it smoke out the tailpipes? good luck were here to help. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.