Motorcar Photography Tips - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Motorcar Photography Tips

I was just alerted to the existence of this comprehensive article on photographing automobiles, written by Curt Scott of CobraCountry.com: Automobile/Motorcar Photography.

Someone who knows more than I do about photography might be able to offer more insight, but, from what I've seen, this is a solid resource. There's also a condensed 1-page PDF version available here: Condensed Automobile/Motorcar Photography PDF.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Excellent

Wow, this is really good. Now I understand why some of my pictures just don't "pop". Wish I had this years ago. Thanks for posting the one page how to.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

For me - it's been "Thanks for Photoshop" to make car pictures work out nicely. Thanks for the article. I copied the 'short version' and bookmarked the long one for later

Dave W
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Pitted rust Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I found this thread and thought I'd add a few little tidbits....

I've worked in film and TV production for 12 years as a Lighting Designer and Tech. I'm also a former Lighting Director for Horsepower TV and TRUCKS...among other shows. I've lit cars for catalogs and ads for Year One, Royal Purple, Banks Engineering, Edelbrock, Bully Dog Performance, Skyjacker, multiple feature cars, and more...lighting cars for TV and photography is my profession.

The tips posted are great if you're photographing to sell your car or just taking snapshots.

But, if you want a frameable, calendar/poster worthy photo of your car there are a few things you'll need in addition to just your camera and knowing where the sun is...

#1 - Poster board. The pros have 4'x8' sheets of material called "foam core" that is used to manipulate reflections, ambient light, and shadows. A couple pieces of drug store poster board can be used to the same effect.

#2 - extra shop lights. Used in conjunction with the poster board, you can get good results by playing with the angles. Plus, I've lit more engine bays with flashlights than I can count...to REALLY great effect. HAHA!

#3 - water. a wet concrete floor or driveway gives a good contrast and some nice, desirable reflections. Especially with those extra shop lights.

Personally, I like to shoot at dusk or at night. The "golden hour" at dusk, just after the sun sets but before it gets dark is ideal. Though, I prefer to shoot at night or a darkened studio when light is much more controllable.
I also generally don't use digital, but can. I can also utilize Photoshop for any need or idea. But, film gives a warmer and more true color, in my opinion. Though there are many film professionals that will argue that point, especially with the newer high megapixel cameras. (10+ megapixels)

There is a LOT more that you'd need really, but for the guy in his garage or driveway, those few items would work wonders. Play with it...it's fun. See what you can come up with.
Also, if anyone is interested in professional lighting/photography of their special project, please feel free to contact me.

-Filmjay
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I was just alerted to the existence of this comprehensive article on photographing automobiles, written by Curt Scott of CobraCountry.com: Automobile/Motorcar Photography.

Someone who knows more than I do about photography might be able to offer more insight, but, from what I've seen, this is a solid resource. There's also a condensed 1-page PDF version available here: Condensed Automobile/Motorcar Photography PDF.

Hello there. i can't say that I am a popular photog. Although, I can confidently say that I am really fond of looking at such. Well, you might as well view car wallpapers so you'd have idea on what artists do. This will surely give you an idea of the technique they're doing and stuffs.

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.