Motorcycle wont start - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Motorcycle wont start

Its an 86 yamaha xt600 enduro bike. I cleaned the carb, new fuel, new plug, new oil, all that jazz. It still wont start its just popping loudly from the exhaust. I didnt think you could do anything with the timing though. Its a kick start so it sucks to try to start anyway. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Does anyone have any suggestions? My leg is gonna fall off if it doesnt start soon! Anything will help.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Is it getting any fire ? You more then likely have a bad Stator. JMO

Cole
Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Its popping from the exhaust and every once in a while it sounds like it wants to start, then it does nothing for the next 20 kicks. It was sitting for some extended amount of time. I dont know how long, its not mine, im trying to get it running for a guy. Let me tell you, if someone wants you to work on a kick start bike don't do it! Its impossible to figure out whats wrong. Also the battery is dead, but it should start without it, but maybe its easier with it?Thanks for the response cole.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Just like any engine, it needs spark, fuel and compression....not sure if that bike would still use points, but thats where I would likely start
Old 01-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

This thingis more cunfusing than a car! And getting to the spark plug alone required mixing and matching random tools to get it out.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

[QUOTE=bigdog7373Also the battery is dead, but it should start without it, but maybe its easier with it?Thanks for the response cole.[/QUOTE]

Put a trickle charge on the battery over night or get a new battery.
If the gas tank smells like shellac the gas is bad not only in the tank but in the carbs as well.
Did the owner give any reason why it's been sitting for so long? Might have had a problem in the first place like the stator as cole mentioned. If that is the case, It will fire up with a good battery but lose power as the engine drains the battery below the voltage requirements just like a car with a bad alt. except more noticeable.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Good idea, i'll try that tomorrow. He said it ran when parked over 4 years ago. Its weird though because the spark plug looked brand new on the outside, threads were clean, but it was badly fouled. Thanks so far guys.

Last edited by bigdog7373; 01-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 AM

Bro Had an xt600. It was a pain to start when it ran good. check your auto comrpession release, if my memory serves me its on the the cylinder head. This cuts compression to aid in starting but they often fail, and cause all sorts of wierd no start/ poor running prblems.

Also my brother had to "hot start" it every time the first time after sitting more than a couple hours.

Spray some Starting fluid or carb clean in the air horn .5-1 sec, and then find a really big hill and get some speed. My brother is 6'2 210 and I'm 6'3 220 so one sat while the other pushed, then we took turns beating the tar out of ourselves on it. The bike is fun and wheelies at will when it runs right. Have fun and up your insurance....
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Once you soak a spark plug on an older bike, its done. The energy created by the CDI ignition isn't enough to overcome a wet plug.

Your best bet is to double check the timing, another set of plugs, and use some starting fluid (or brake cleaner) to get it to fire right away. If it runs for a bit on starting fluid then dies, its a fuel issue. If the fluid doesn't really help much, its most likely a spark issue.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
Also the battery is dead, but it should start without it, but maybe its easier with it?Thanks for the response cole.
I've never owned your exact bike, but I've had several 80's bikes. If they don't have good battery juice, they won't make spark very well. Examples: I had a 73 CB350 that would start fine with a kick, but bucked and died if you gave it gas. Hook it up to a trickle charger and it was fine. I had an 84 CB750 that I strapped a lawn and garden battery to the luggage rack as a jumper battery. It would run great until the jumper cables came loose and I had to stop and reconnect.

I'd start with the battery. Diagnose it with a trickle charger or jumpers. If you hook up some help and it runs, get a new battery.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I think the compression release is ok because its not really that hard to kick and it has compression, i can fell it in the starter thing. I'll try charging the battery. Its only a single cylinder so i dont think it has a distributer or anything. What does the load pop frm the exhaust mean? Just clened the carb, main jet was clear but floats were stuck. Fressh gas, cleaned spark plug with wire brush, burned excess fuel off, and regapped it. I guess the battery is the next thing to check. Its not my bike either, a guy is paying me to get it running. I usually have no problems with these machines, but the ones ive been doing recently were electric start. Kick start is awefull, i'll never buy a 4 stroke kick start.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
I think the compression release is ok because its not really that hard to kick and it has compression, i can fell it in the starter thing. I'll try charging the battery. Its only a single cylinder so i dont think it has a distributer or anything. What does the load pop frm the exhaust mean? Just clened the carb, main jet was clear but floats were stuck. Fressh gas, cleaned spark plug with wire brush, burned excess fuel off, and regapped it. I guess the battery is the next thing to check. Its not my bike either, a guy is paying me to get it running. I usually have no problems with these machines, but the ones ive been doing recently were electric start. Kick start is awefull, i'll never buy a 4 stroke kick start.
Connect a spark tester and see if it has spark or not, dont guess. You may also want to check the compression. A stick valve will keep it from running and could also cause the pop in the exhaust.

Eliminate things one at a time.

Chet
Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

How can i get a compression tester in there? There is a bar directly over it and the hole is 4 inches deep!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Charged battery, fresh fuel, fresh plug, dry cylinder.

Use the choke, w/o pumping the throttle in case it has an 'active' accelerator pump. Starting fluid OK, use the kind w/the upper lube in it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.