are the motors on ebay balanced? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 05:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

are the motors on ebay balanced?

i talked to my cousin who races sprint cars and we were talking about building me a motor i told him i thaught about buying one from ebay (a lot cheaper than builind and machineing ) he laughed and said those cant be balanced and wouldnt hold up........ any input

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I wouldn`t trust anything off Evilbay. But that`s just me.
Always remember if it sounds too good to be true it is, no prolly to it.
Do a internet search on the given company selling these engines, if there`s some bad reviews on them out there you`ll find it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 PM

lol yeah the old sayen still holds true... i am just tryen to make a little street motor that will bull your but back in the seat a little.......pref a 350 no stroker wana stay simple
Old 01-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Then look around and find a 1996 and up Vortec 350. They come with a OEM roller cam and Vortec heads. Most of the time you can find one and just hone and rering it. Have the valve guides clearanced, stab in a larger roller cam and a Intake for a carb, throw some cheap headers on it and a HEI and have fun.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhammond
i talked to my cousin who races sprint cars and we were talking about building me a motor i told him i thaught about buying one from ebay (a lot cheaper than builind and machineing ) he laughed and said those cant be balanced and wouldnt hold up........ any input
When are you people going to realize that Ebay is not a seller?.....They are the company that runs the auctions.......To say that quality is or isn't Ebays fault is just silly.....There are good sellers and not so good sellers...Blame them, not Ebay.

Want to buy a good quality product using Ebay?.....Do your homework.

Budget RVs
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

There are lots of items that I will buy on Ebay - but an assembled engine - not a chance unless I know the seller by reputation, i.e. Summit, Jegs, Smeading, GM, Ford Racing, etc.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhammond
I'd laugh 2. A sprint car blasting away at 7000+ rpm is going to need that machining and it will show a bob spec for the rotating assembly, there is no free lunch here.

If the motor you order is internally balanced then you will pay for that one way or another, problem is they could show you a bogus spec and then at speed its lights out, like dave is saying know your machinist, I'd let your cousin stick it together cause you know were he lives,,,

TJ
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Buying parts for a 45 year old car necessitates using places like E Bay to find what I need. I have bought some pretty good stuff and some not as good of stuff as I wanted. Ultimatley it came down to this
Not asking specific questions and assuming certain things
Not looking closely enough at the photographs
Look closley at what the seller says about the Item. Is the seller stating facts or is his making implications(E Bay wont dispute Implications only stated facts)?
You got to be saavy to buy on e bay. That wont come without buying a few Items that end up being less than what you expected.
I bought a 389 from a guy.It was a 65 389 and advertised as a good running motor. It said "good running motor"
It winds up that it "was" a good running motor when he put it in storage 10 years ago. I called him to tell him it had a badly rusted cylinder and would need to be rebuilt and bored and such. He had 100 percent feedback, and I trusted that. He offered me the full refund of the 600 bucks, but naturally i was still out the amount of freight to get it to my house. He said he would pay the return freight. I suggested he give me 500 back and I keep the motor as a usable core.
I would have been out 300 for freight so I agreed to keep the engine with a difference of 100 bucks.so it cost 400 bucks for a usablecore to rebuild.Face it ,there isnt many 389 out there anymore.I did not want to spend 300 dollars for transportation of an engine just to look at it.
If his add would have said "ran good when stored 10 years ago" i would have assumed it was only as good as a rebuildable core.
I asked him if he personnaly turned it over by hand when the auction was in progress and he assured me he did. Turns out his mechanic did (or not rather) and said it was good, and he went on his mechanics word. He was pretty decent about it, but I was dissapointed nontheless as now I have an engine to build.
If your buying old engines on e bay, bid on something within driving distance and listen to it run before you pay the seller,or buy it cheap as a rebuildable core. Freight is not refunded by sellers
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What are you going to use this motor for? In days of old, really not that long ago, race teams used engines that had been run for a bunch of miles, believing that they were "cured" and would bore and balance much easier, lasting longer than a brand new block. Find an older motor, buddy up to the wrecking yard guys, tear into the engine and see what you find. Then build the engine to your liking. My last sbc I bought was a propane engine, looked like brand new inside. A good candidate for a rebuild.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The idea that an old block, that has been heat cycled thousands of times will be a better block to build than a new block has been around forever, it seems.

It may even be true if the new block was nothing more than a standard production piece. Compared to a seasoned block, the new casting might have some amount of unrelieved stresses in it that will work themselves out over the course of its first bore size. Or not.

Funny, it seems no one has the same apprehension when it comes to using new heads. Or aftermarket blocks.

But IMHO, the biggest thing that will help is to use torque plates to do the honing, whether the block is new OR seasoned.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.