Mounting a 29 Ford pickup bed on the "Stock Frame"??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mounting a 29 Ford pickup bed on the "Stock Frame"???

I'm trying to decide whether to build a T Bucket or a 29 Model A. The Rolling chassis's don't seem to be that different cost-wise, just the body obviously...

I was wondering how the truck bed is mounted on the 29 frame (not a 32 frame)...? I see some Z'd frames and the bed is simply mounted on the kicked up part. But on Non Z'd frames, I'm not sure... The beds seem to be mounted high, so I'm wondering if the beds are mounted on pedestals on top of the frame, and the bottom "bed skirts" cover them up?? A majority of these are fendered, so its hard to see how this is actually done.. I would go with the non fendered look if I pull the trigger...

The truck body option would probably be around $6000-$6500 (Brookville body + finished truck bed)... Expensive, but not too bad I guess considering what other body makes cost (32, 40 ford, etc..)....

Probably a simple answer, but it seems difficult to see from just scanning pictures....

--Dilbert

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The original bed is mounted very simply. There are a pair of "extenders bolted to the bed and they are cross bolted into the frame ends and there are a pair of bolts bolted down through the frame at the front of the bed. It is not meant to carry more than a few hundred pounds, about all the 35 HP four banger and mechanical brakes would handle. My neighbor is restoring a 29 PU and he and I lifted the tiny bed onto the frame very easily. Almost like mounting a big wheel barrow tub !!

Trees
Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

Just an f.y.i. you can usually z a model a frame in the rear without any or only minimal alterations to the body. My model a roadster had a "Z"d frame in the rear, and I only had to alter the floorpan subrail in that area, I ran a 235/75-15 that filled the rear wheelwell, and the car had a slight rake. I only "Zd' the frame the width of the frame rail(so, in essence, the frame rail bottom was now where the top frame rail is) you can look at t.c.i. frame rails for a model a pickup. as they extend the rail to the end of the bed also. I did the same thing to my roadster, and built a trailer hitch into the extension.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

A Pickup bed

You can kick the rear of your frame about 2" and still mount the bed like a stocker. You will have to use a flat rear crossmember though. The problem that you will run into is clearance for the rear housing pumkin. If you extend the frame rails you will cure that problem. The skirt on the bed will hid this modifacation.

If you want a taller kick, you will have to build a riser off the frame rail at the front of the bed. This will also make it nesessary to fab a filler panel to go between the frame and the bed for a more finished look.

Ron
Old 05-26-2008, 11:46 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Take a look at what TCI and/or Brookville do with their 'A' frame rails. TCI with their newer design uses coil overs and uses a different cross member design.

The attached shows my frame but with a '32 style gas tank mod. You can see the design TCI use to go around the differential housing. Brookville uses a somewhat similar design, but it goes over the differential though - and is almost identical to the old TCI 'A' frames.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

A Pickup bed

Nice chassis Irish... With that kick in the frame rail you would want to check the clearance when using a pickup box. Henry had to put a metal pan in the floor of the bed to clear the rear cross member. By the way, the A rear crossmember is 3" above the top of the side rails. You only have about 2" to play with if you are using a flat cross member.

Ron

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.