Hot Rod Forum banner

mounting a GM steering column in a model a

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EBlack36 
#1 ·
i just got a steering column from an older gmc truck. it has column shift, and tilt. is there an aftermarket mount i can buy to adapt this to my 30 ford coupe. i know i can't just drill anywhere as the fuel tank is right there. also will it clear the brake pedal when installed. i have a frame mounted booster and master cylinder that comes through the floor.any help will be appreciated, and thanks to all that have answered my questions in the past! mike

#2 ·
One out of a pickup may be a little long but it will work with a little bit of fabrication. Before you start any fabrication I would pull the gas tank out if for nothing else to check it out to make sure it does not leak. There is a bracket made that you can use that is advertised in both Street Scene (NSRA) and the Goodguys Gazette(Goodguys). I would put my front seat in the car and then figure out where to put the column in place where it feels good to you, and then fabricate a mount that bolts it to the bottom of the dash. Sometimes a column shift doesn't work in a Model A due to the narrow chassis, but I have seen it done and it worked, may have to use cable linkage. Good Luck. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.