Hot Rod Forum banner

mouse smell

33K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  454 Rattler 
#1 ·
dose anyone have a good way to get mouse smell out of a cloth interior.i just picked up a 1954 Pontiac 2 dr. and mice have gotten into it. they haven't done that much damage to the seats but the smell will knock you over.

#2 ·
That is extreamly tough. I once bought a 72 elcamino that had mice at one time, I replaced the entire interior, tossed the sound deading material, pulled the heater box, and scrubbed the complete inside of the car. On really hot days I swear I could still smell the rements of the rodents.
Good Luck

#3 ·
See if you can go to a rent all place or disaster restoration company and rent an air purification product with an ozone generator on it. Getting a unit with this feature is very important. Place it in the vehicle with the windows rolled up and kept up and let it run a couple(2) days solid. The ozone will eradicate any organic smell inside the car. I guarantee it will smell unusual during this process but when all is done the mouse smell will be greatly diminished or gone. Please read up on this process if you have any questions of it's effectiveness. It will work if you have the correct equiptment.

#4 ·
mrtimstik said:
See if you can go to a rent all place or disaster restoration company and rent an air purification product with an ozone generator on it. Getting a unit with this feature is very important. Place it in the vehicle with the windows rolled up and kept up and let it run a couple(2) days solid. The ozone will eradicate any organic smell inside the car. I guarantee it will smell unusual during this process but when all is done the mouse smell will be greatly diminished or gone. Please read up on this process if you have any questions of it's effectiveness. It will work if you have the correct equiptment.
mrtimstik has it. Our dog got hit by a skunk once and the wife let it in the house not knowing! In seconds the whole house was lit up with the smell, along with me who had to get the dog out. I brought home an ozone generator from work ran it on the dog and in the house for a couple of days. Smell gone, didn't think it would work but it did. :thumbup:

#6 · (Edited)
go to ur local hardware store & look for some Concentrated Germicidal Cleaner. i had over a foot of Rat Cr@p :eek: :eek: in my bus when i got it. i even left the bus outside for 2yrs b4 bringing it into my garage, i tried several products & nothing would get rid of the FUNK untill i used that stuff. with one good soaking of this stuff the smell was gone forever.....joe

plus this stuff will kill all the "bad" stuff that comes w/rat & mice poop.......

#7 ·
Got to your local Pest Control company and see if you can gets some Bacazap...it comes in a spray bottle....just spray it on what ever smells and the odor goes away...this product is oderless also...so when you get through there will be no smell at all.

#8 · (Edited)
How ironic that a thread about eradicating pest odor , has a pest post in it. A spam pest post. With a link ..many links. That stinks :spank:
But the little red spam fest from a spam pest stinky link flusher button has been pushed...Bye bye spammer sam.

I dont want your loan, your cover's been blown, the door you'll be shown.

Mikey

Morning after edit. I guess the loan advertisement has been sheetcanned. and they left my :p poetry....oh happy day, I must have a patron :cool:

#9 ·
I had a pretty foul smell in my '62 Buick after taking it out of 7 years of storage. Some mice had gotten into it and there were droppings all over the place. I vacuumed the whole car real good then sprinkled baking soda all over the seats, carpet and trunk. I let that sit for a few hours maybe half a day, then vacuumed it again. After that, the smell was gone.

#10 ·
For those of you who don't know that some Mice feces can KILL you if you inhale the dust from this (Don't use a vacuum). When working on removing a nest or droppings from you car it is best to put on cloves and a mask. We have found that you can use a good degreaser and scrub down the area then a coat of paint to seal up the area as the urine is very acidic and can rust holes in your floor or heater box.I have also found that a product made by "ZEP" that is sold at Home Depo in the cleaner area called Smoke Eliminator works great to remove oder.
Regards
Jason

#13 ·
We are currently building a custom 70 Mustang that sat for who knows how long and the mice will get everywhere and until you remove all their nests you will never be able to remove the odors. We stripped the car completely of all it's interior, which we had planned anyway, and there we mice nests in every conceivable cavity, doors, headliner, trunk lid cavity,torque box cavities. It was every where....I'm dead now and this is from the beyond... :D

#14 ·
I didn't have the mouse smell but I had a vehicle that the previous owner was a heavy smoker. I mixed half shampoo and half febreeze and used a upholstry cleaner and went over all the cloth areas of the vehicle and it took the odor out. It never returned. (gotta get the poop out thou first!)

#15 ·
Mouse smell

I had a mouse infestation in a bus. The smell was awful. Here in UK we have a strong floral disinfectant called Zoflora. It kills bugs and bacteria. I mixed a 3:1 mix with water and Zoflora and filled a trigger spray gun. A good spraying of all the seats and carpets soon got rid of the smell. Hope this helps

#16 ·
No offense, but this thread is almost 6 years old. The chances of the original poster still needing the information he requested is pretty much zero.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.