Movin' Out (battery relocation) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 07:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Movin' Out (battery relocation)

Ok, I realize this may seem basic, but I'm relocating my battery to the trunk. Should I move the starter silonoid? If so, where? I'm wondering because where it is I'm going to need to drill a hole somewhere to bring the cable into the engine bay. I really wanna clean up the engine compartment and get rid of any weight i can up front (that 428 is heavy). Thanks for any help you can give.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you move the Solenoid your still going to have to run a cable from it to your starter. Its up to you, you can leave it where it is or move it if you want.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Solenoid

Doc here,

By keeping the solenoid in the front, you have less current swamp between it and the starter..(A short cable OUT of the contact side to the starter) meaning the contacts won't burn and pit so easy, heating is less...And more current delivery to the starter motor..

And What's the weight? 1.2 lbs saved? either way you run it, you added 20 lbs of cable from the front to the rear..(if you sized it right) I see no advantage in moving it..I could see it if it were an aircraft rapidly approaching datum on a weight and balance calculation..

If you need to conserve weight, you'd be better off with a torch removing sheet metal that is absolutely unnecessary for your application..

Electrically wise it makes more sense to leave it in it's stock location..

Doc
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

battery relocation

I've tried trunk mounts and drop down boxes attached to the frame. For my latest rod, I have mounted an oddessy 965 amp battery off the frame angled toward the rear of the passenger side fenderwell. Battery cables are short, wiring is nice and neat. Don't have it on the road yet, not sure if the oddessy will work out. Hiding the cables with a boxed frame is a nuisance with the battery in the trunk. Looking foreard to reading other ideas. Bill
Old 10-26-2005, 02:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

In the constant battle for underhood room on my car, the battery was first to go. Excellent cases have long been made over and over as to the weight distribution benefits. Any fairly serious dragracer of the last 40 years is likely to have his battery repositioned to as close to over the right rear wheel as possible. You can't argue the benefits of doing so unless you care to argue with umpteen thousand dragracers who have printed time slips to document improvements.
There are different ways to accomplish the relocation. If you in fact plan to dragrace even occaisionally, you'd best get one of the printed rulebooks from the IHRA or NHRA and follow their rules.
Other than that I can only relate what I did. I put the solenoid in the trunk. Partly to further reduce underhood cluttler and partly because I don't much favor a 2 gauge "hot all the time" cable winding from one end of the car to the other. It might be fine, but I can easily picture a fairly minor traffic accident resulting in my car burning to the ground because of that bigass cable getting pinched and short. It's still possible it could short, but only when I'm actually starting the car.
Some people , particularly big block owners,have found that they have needed to also run a ground cable for effective cranking. You might want to plan for this possibilty. Happily a ground cable won't ever short so most folks just run it up under the car. I have yet to need one.
You will get a certain amount of voltage drop with the longer cables. Often this can easily be compensated for by using a gear reduction mini-starter. I rather like mini-starters anyway.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Last photo:

Locating the battery and solenoid in the trunk has several benefits, like weight distribution. Another is when the solenoid is in the trunk you do not have a heavy energized battery cable running all the way from back to the front of your car just waiting to short out and burn your car to the ground. When the solenoid is in the trunk the battery cable to the starter is only hot for the short time to crank the engine. If you size your wire properly voltage drop is not a concern.

My battery and solenoid is in the trunk, it is an Optima dry cell and has 1/0 battery cables and works flawlessly.

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.