moving 610lb compressor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

moving 610lb compressor

The trucking company just dropped off my 2 stage air compressor weighing in at 610lbs. Its now sitting on a pallet in the driveway. Anyone know how to move one of these things into the garage?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 11:52 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacy789
The trucking company just dropped off my 2 stage air compressor weighing in at 610lbs. Its now sitting on a pallet in the driveway. Anyone know how to move one of these things into the garage?
Use pipe as rollers. I use 1/2 gas pipe but even conduit will do. Pry one end of the pallet up and slip a piece of pipe under it. Make sure your pipe spans the entire width of the pallet. Then use a pry bar or maybe just push. It will roll on the pipe toward your destination. I use two or three pieces of pipe. As your pallet rolls up on one place another in front and keep going.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Last photo:

If it's a vertical compressor be very careful, they tip over if you breath on them a little to heavy. I used my engine hoist to move my vertical compressor into place.

Vince
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Find someone to loan you a pallet jack.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A pallat jack would be the deal, but if you can't go that route, you can pick up 4 furniture dollys from Home Depot or Harbor Freight . Lift the pallet using a 2X6 through the pallet and lift w/a floor jack to place the dollys. Keep the jack right up to the pallet, not out on the end of the board.

You might not be able to return the dollys, but you may be able to resell them if you have no other need for them.

Another idea is to mount some HD casters at the four corners and use the pallet itself as the base. Same deal for raising it up as to place the dollys. A long bit will be needed to drill the mounting holes.

Or mount the casters to a pair of 2X6 the same width as the pallet and slide the assemblies under each end and secure.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

You know, It must have been a union truck driver. They won't go any farther than the tailgate of their trailer. How did you get it off the truck?
If you can't borrow a pallet jack, they rent them at your local equipment rental.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
You know, It must have been a union truck driver. They won't go any farther than the tailgate of their trailer. How did you get it off the truck?
If you can't borrow a pallet jack, they rent them at your local equipment rental.
I just ordered a compressor. When the freight company calls to schedule the delivery, I am going to ask for a truck with a lift gate because I have no idea how I would get the air compressor off of the truck by my self. I haven't gotten the prices for this yet, but I'd imagine it would be cheaper than renting a fork lift. I'm going to give the pipe rolling method a shot to get it into my garage and if that doesn't work, I will try the engine lift. If neither of these ideas work, I'm calling my buddies.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

What people don't realize is moving it in the garage is the easy part. Getting it off the pallet is the hard part!
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
What people don't realize is moving it in the garage is the easy part. Getting it off the pallet is the hard part!
Hey All, Thats the same thing I was thinking. Pipe rollers will move alot of weight. Pinch bar or crowbar with leverage blocks to get the rollers under. Bigger the pipe, easier to roll, have never used more than 2" pipe to move heavy switchgear and such, at a ton or better. Tricky part is getting it off the pallet, especially if its an vertical compressor. Gotta have a buddy or two regardless. Case of beer will make it happen, no beer till its in place. olnolan
Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM

compressor

most delivery trucks with lift gates keep a pallet jack on board give the driver a couple of bucks to help you get it into garage has worked for me in the past!!
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

That's terrible. And he took it? I would have done it for nothing but a nice guy!!
Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Got her in the garage...

Thanks for the suggestion using the pipe rollers. I needed to pick up some 3/4 pipe for the air piping system, so I got five pieces of 36" long black pipe from Home Depot and was able to roll it in using the pallet as a base. The 36" long pieces ended up being smaller than the pallet, but it worked....if I had to do it again, I would have gotten the next size up. It is a vertical compressor and it barely cleared the garage opening, so anything bigger than 3/4 inch diameter would have hit the opening.

I had help, but I could have moved it myself - only would have taken longer...and the top heavy thing made it kinda wobbly.

The real problem, as stated in an earlier post, is getting it off the pallet. Need to get the garage wiring installed, inspected, a new drop service, etc... so I have some time to figure that out.. but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Different topic.. but are you supposed to tip the drivers? Perhaps thats why he left it in the middle of my driveway?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Don't take it off of the pallet. This way you have the wood for vibrayion dampening and your slab wont endure vibration though th whole thing because of the compressor being bolted to the floor. Also if you move it will be much easier to transport if it is on the pallet.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

No on the tip's! A good truck driver would do it for nothing. I've never taken any money from anyone I've ever delivered to. Not that it's never been offered, but it's just not right!!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:26 PM

I ordered an IR 60 gal, 2 stage compressor and requested tail gate service. It was delivered by Conway Freight. He had a pallet jack on the truck since he needed one to get the compressor to the lift gate. The driver cheerfully asked where I wanted it. I pointed to the left, rear corner of the garage and that's where he put it.

Then I used my engine hoist to lift it off the pallet and on to some vibration mounting pads I had anchored into the concrete floor. My compressor now sits discreetly in the corner of my garage and is pleasantly quiet.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.