Hot Rod Forum banner

moving engine back on frame

8K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
has anyone ever moved a engine a few inches back on a frame? What is involved? I know you have to have the driveshaft shorted but other than that can you just move the trans crossmember back and weld on some universal motor mounts a little farther back?
Thanks,
Scott

#3 ·
Main obstacle will be firewall clearance. It is a lot of work to move the engine back, especially if you are using stock motor mounts and transmission mount. Why do you want to do it??

In the "old days" we would move engine rearward in drag cars to get better weight distribution, mainly because drag tires at the time did not provide very good traction. With the tires that are available today, traction is not that big of a problem. With a properly set-up rear end and a good set of slicks, you could put the engine out by the front bumper and still get fairly decent traction.

#4 ·
firewall clearance isn't a issue. I am putting a custom body that will move the firewall back by at least a foot. I want to do it for handling purposes mostly. But if it is a ton of work and fabrication than I guess I will go with some really big meats all the way around.
Thanks,
Scott

#6 ·
If you want you can run a dry sump and lower the engine at the same time and get added clearance that way, still lots of work though. If this is for SCCA racing remember the engine can't be moved any farther back than the imaginary line intersecting the first spark plug and the front axle centerline and can't be lowered in the frame.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.