Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Moving the engine rearward, how far..?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
There is a lot of math involved to determine the exact changes to moving weight bias rearward but obviously more is better, at least to a point. I doubt you will be able to go too far, though, w/o doing a lot of major reworking to the car.

If this is a drag car, it's interesting to know that raising the center of gravity helps traction by increasing weight transfer to the rear. That's why many early drag cars had a nose up stance and why the altereds had their engines mounted so high. Nowadays, good tires and suspensions (and rules) keep this to a minimum. Whether this is something you could use, depends.

FWIW, in '68 we had a '65 C10 pick up w/a 389 Pontiac mounted 18" rearward. It was the first vehicle (besides our wrecker) that I drove that could pull the front wheels on takeoff. It had other modifications, but the engine moved rearward was the main thing responsible for the added traction.
you are right, I have not considered this, maybe I should also raise the engine something like 4 inches or so, will have to pay attention to the rear pinion angle.

I don't mind doing a complete reworking of the car, I have a body shop and deal with this kind of stuff everyday.

there's plenty of room to move the seat rearwards while keeping the driver's space about the same size, and being 5'7 is and advantage this time