Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Moving the engine rearward, how far..?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
14st 9 pounds - geeeeeze. You Nort'ners think all of us here don't know good stuff like that

Agusto - don't think you can really shift the engine to the right too much and run generally available headers. Why not just find a huge engine (454 to ???) and install it - lots easier then chopping out a firewall and cobbling up brakes and clutch as well as your leg room. Then there is the problem of just working on the engine and the added time to do simple jobs like adjust valves or even change spark plugs.

Even this is tough to work on:

I don't plan on making a hole in the firewall like the one in your pic, my idea is removing it intact and moving it rearwards with everything attached to it, brake and clutch included, this will not alter the geometry of anything, all the stuff will still be in the same place only a few inches back. I will also remove part of the floor attached to the firewall, so the trans tunnel and shifter hole will still be in the same place but closer to the rear.