Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - MPG rod? Does it need a big, American engine?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

MPG rod? Does it need a big, American engine?

I lurked here for a while but I need to know your opinions, so I am making my first post a question.

I have a 1/2 ton Econoline frame sitting here and I keep staring at it.

I have ways to cut it down and some interesting ideas for it. Part home made Lotus 7 on steroids, part rat rod...100% like nothing else.

What if it had a Toyota engine in it?

Not because I love them, but because for 500.00, I can get a WONDERFUL running little 2.0 liter 4 banger that will rev like mad and last 150,000 more miles...all the while getting better than 30 MPG with my weight/drag/ratio's.

I will be under what a Camry weighs. These engines move a Camry around just fine. (I drive a 2.0 liter Camry daily now.)

Light trans, light radiator, light motor...all on 15 inch rubber with huge brakes for the weight...etc.

I like the idea, but the local people who have heard tell of it...they laugh at me. (They also drive 10 MPG 4X4 pickups daily with one guy in each truck 40 miles each way to work. I own a BB Suburban myself, but I do not drive it unless pulling the car trailer or carrying 6 people.)

So, as a daily driver, if the cool factor was there, would a light 4 banger make you puke?
I have a SB 305 and a T400 sitting in a van that could go in it too, but by the time I freshen the V8, I will have more into it than the 'Yota motor. I already have a tranny for either way it will go.

If you were building a rod for everyday driving...with fuel prices like they are...would you not consider a F.I. 4 banger?

Would it be that big of a deal that it was a Japanese engine, not a Pontiac?