Hot Rod Forum banner

MPG rod? Does it need a big, American engine?

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  MRGUMBY 
#1 ·
I lurked here for a while but I need to know your opinions, so I am making my first post a question.

I have a 1/2 ton Econoline frame sitting here and I keep staring at it.

I have ways to cut it down and some interesting ideas for it. Part home made Lotus 7 on steroids, part rat rod...100% like nothing else.

What if it had a Toyota engine in it?

Not because I love them, but because for 500.00, I can get a WONDERFUL running little 2.0 liter 4 banger that will rev like mad and last 150,000 more miles...all the while getting better than 30 MPG with my weight/drag/ratio's.

I will be under what a Camry weighs. These engines move a Camry around just fine. (I drive a 2.0 liter Camry daily now.)

Light trans, light radiator, light motor...all on 15 inch rubber with huge brakes for the weight...etc.

I like the idea, but the local people who have heard tell of it...they laugh at me. (They also drive 10 MPG 4X4 pickups daily with one guy in each truck 40 miles each way to work. I own a BB Suburban myself, but I do not drive it unless pulling the car trailer or carrying 6 people.)

So, as a daily driver, if the cool factor was there, would a light 4 banger make you puke?
I have a SB 305 and a T400 sitting in a van that could go in it too, but by the time I freshen the V8, I will have more into it than the 'Yota motor. I already have a tranny for either way it will go.

If you were building a rod for everyday driving...with fuel prices like they are...would you not consider a F.I. 4 banger?

Would it be that big of a deal that it was a Japanese engine, not a Pontiac?

See less See more
#2 ·
One thing about what we do here is that you can do your own thing whatever that is..It is not always about the money but what works and turns your clock..Myself I have thought about getting a Speedway T and putting the Ford Focus 4 banger in it for a traditional rod with a modern spin...

Sam

#5 ·
Options

Go man rock your boat.I have had 3cyls.4's 6's and straight 8's V 6's t's ,A's .So what.Plugs were over 3 bucks a piece the other day .I need a toy engine.WellI wont go that far but I know a guy that has an Anglia ,all steel and he has a datsun engine in it.Ac.sses your scene man and do what makes you happy. :cool: :cool:

#6 ·
Let your local friends laugh all they want. I've seen nicely prepared 4 bangers that will leave V8 powered behemoths gasping in their dust...AND get about double the miles per gallon while doing it.

As others have said, this is a sport where the individual's taste comes first and foremost. Build what YOU want to build and you'll never go wrong.

#7 ·
I think a blown 454 would be nice..But that's me.. :thumbup: Look man,If your worried about someone laughing at you,Get out of this hobby now,,No matter what you do and this hobby,There's always someone that won't like what you do..Build it like you want it.And don't ever worry about who like's it and who don't..Believe me when I tell you this..It's the story of my life..I know there's people that don't like what I do,But I don't worry about them..''Please yourself in life'' and don't worry about them...Remember they are just jealous they can't do it... :thumbup:

#8 ·
NEW INTERIORS said:
Look man,If your worried about someone laughing at you,Get out of this hobby now,,No matter what you do and this hobby,There's always someone that won't like what you do..:
HAHAHA That's a great line. People laugh at what I do all the time!

I agree with everyone else. Do what you want to do. You might be surprised to find out how many people like to see something different.

#12 ·
no matter where you go, what you drive, or how it looks, there are always ALWAYS going to be people that sneer and turn their noses up if its out of the ordinary. dont worry about those people, they just want to be in it to be cool. the people that know cars, that really care about them, the people that do it for the love of cars and not the "bling factor" so to speak-they will see what you have done, they will ask questions and they will know how much it really took to make your vision a dream. those are the people you should care about. and they will love your idea! and to top it off-its going to be your car-not theirs, so you should make it your way! if it works for you and you like it thats all that matters. the only thing that might suck is that your are going to have to post a bunch of pictures so we can all bask in the glory! good luck man-and have fun!

#15 · (Edited)
Mid 30s? I think that's probably pushing it. I'd believe mid-high 20s though. I get 27+ if I keep my 4.6L Mustang around 60-65.

How about two four bangers inline? How hard would that be? Maybe you could couple them with some sort of one way clutch so you could shut down or idle the front engine when it's not needed. When it is needed you could fire it up and they could run together for double the horsepower.

Yes, I know that's very elaborate and probably incredibly expensive but I'm bored and feel like sharing silly ideas.

#16 ·
Google thru the Toyota Forums. There is s a ton of info on swaps. Nice thing about Toyota is the eng/trans mostly have the same bolt patterns so a FWD eng will bolt to a RWD trans. They actually spent the time to build them right so they dont need balance shafts for FWD cars like American manufactured cars. I have an 86 RWD Corolla parts car I will use in Morris Minor if I can ever find the time to start that job. Go for it. I always stop to check out a car when the builder is creative enough to build it without a 350/350. I have a pile of 1.9 2.0 2.3 and Zetec stuff for my other Morris's. I'm even considering the 2.3 turbo for the 35 Ford pu. Got good mileage and lots of power in my XR4TI.

#17 ·
I think I love you guys.

(Nothin queer now...think of it...Viking style.) :thumbup:

The trans I have is from a older Corolla RWD.

It needs a small mod, but it will work.

The clutch from a 1987 Camry seems to be perfect.

I might not even turbo the thing. I really just need a daily beater to replace the Camry I drive now, which has 200+ on it and is rotten bad bad bad.

Why not make a rod as a daily?? Thats what I thought.

I can get a 3:50 rear under it for free and if I use the cowl/firewall from a Caravan, have all the goodies like A/C and delay wipers.

The wilder idea is to chop the caravan and fill the windows, making a service delivery out of it. The tires would be outside the body, like a roadster and if you kept the nose off it, it changes the whole look of the vehicle.

To use the whole thing would bring the weight right up though.

#18 ·
MRGUMBY said:
The tires would be outside the body, like a roadster and if you kept the nose off it, it changes the whole look of the vehicle.
Just a slight word of caution. You may want to check the VA regulations regarding title requirements and allowable modifications before you get too far down the line and have real money tied up in this project. Most state DMV offices have pretty decent web sites that explain the rules and will hopefully point you to a copy of the actual regulations that your legislature has most likely adopted. You just don't want to run into any big surprises down the line, particularly if you are depending on this being your daily driver.

#19 ·
MRGUMBY said:
The wilder idea is to chop the caravan and fill the windows, making a service delivery out of it. The tires would be outside the body, like a roadster and if you kept the nose off it, it changes the whole look of the vehicle.
I agree with Cboy here..You really need to check into this....The things you said here,Will most likely be a red flag..The tire's outside the body.Will not pass here..Not sure about where you are..And no nose on it will be a flag too.It all come's down to the year of the car..Sound's like you have a plan...But make sure before you put the time and money into it..I know here you better not do the things you said..But that's here..We are not trying to shoot down your plan,Just telling you what to check into..Good luck.. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.