Hot Rod Forum banner

mr. goodwrench engines

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  stroker_SS 
#1 · (Edited)
how do you tell the year of a used mr. goodwrench crate 350 and how many miles will they usually run before needing a rebuild? also, will a ring and head swap blow out bearings? thanks

#3 ·
thanks

for the replies. so the heads aren't worth rebuliding eh? i have a set of better heads i'll have worked then. No big plans for the engine, i just want a decent engine to get me around for a couple of years. I will run a compression test to see where its at. Like the engine i took out, the driver side front(number 1 i believe) cylinder/plug was a bit oily and i was really curious to if the engine would run for a while. Mostly i was curious to if there was a way to tell by the casting numbers what year it was manufactured. I'll check the compression on that oily cylinder first, could someone tell me how low is too low?

#4 · (Edited)
I wouldn't even bother with that engine unless you have plans of rebuilding it soon. An oily spark plug is a good indication of leaking valve guides and at that point it's only a matter of time before the rest of that engine if not already is junk.

It's nothing but a slobbering oil burning hunk of junk until it get's rebuilt, or at least the heads do. At that point i would just upgrade to some vortecs.

If the cylinders vary in psi by more than 20% it's time for a bottem end rebuild also. If you do a compression test make sure the car has good fully charged battery and you should hook up jumper cables to a running vehicle's battery to the car your testing just to make sure it maintains a full charge. Oh yeah cutoff the fuel and make sure the ignition is disconnected from all cylinders and the plugs are out of the other cylinders as well. Also make sure the throttle is wide open for the entire time your cranking on each cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.