MSD Coil and Coil Wire Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 AM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MSD Coil and Coil Wire Question

I just bought a complete MSD system (6AL, Blaster 2 coil, Pro-Billet distributor, 8.5mm wires).

I also purchased the 84039 coil wire kit to use with my Blaster 2 coil. The wire does not fit the coil directly. The coil wire kit came with a terminal adapter post, apparently to adapt the HEI wire they put in the kit to the coil.

The whole thing looks like a bad idea. The adapter is not going to stay on the coil unless I tape it on there. Even then I'm not so sure it would make contact with the terminal inside of the coil. Is there something I am missing here???

I'm not sure why they did this since the kit is specifically for the Blaster 2 coil, so you would think that they would give the correct wire instead of an adapter.

Like I said; maybe I am missing something.

I plan on buying a coil boot and terminal to make it work like MSD should have done in the first place, but I really want to get this thing runnig in the mean time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

I found this statement on another forum that the guy was having the same problem. A guy at a local shop here, told me that you're supposed to put the power tower adapter on the coil, THEN turn the top terminal and it will tighten and get snug.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I found this statement on another forum that the guy was having the same problem. A guy at a local shop here, told me that you're supposed to put the power tower adapter on the coil, THEN turn the top terminal and it will tighten and get snug.
This is correct IIRC- I used the post mentioned above. This wasn't my car, but I installed it.

Part of the idea behind using it is to prevent any arcing caused by the increased output. Whether that's really needed, I cannot say; I used the post and had no probs, though.

Found this at Chevy High Performance mag:

"This Power Tower adapter comes with the modified dustcover and coil wire portion of the Super HEI Kit. To attach it, the socket-type plug end is unscrewed and the adapter is placed into the female-style plug opening on the coil. The plug end is then tightened, which expands the inside of the adapter against the coil opening, holding it in place."

Interestingly, I thought I remembered there being instructions included for installing/tightening it, but the MSD forum has several questions on how to install it and the tech there said to just install it like any HEI plug wire. Which we know is wrong...

Power tower adapter install instructions [Archive] - MSD Tech Support Forums

Last edited by cobalt327; 10-05-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Add image.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 AM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:

Thanks for the help.

I went out to the garage and attempted to install it. No matter how tight I tightened it, it still pops off very easily. Not to mention that the "tighter" you make the screw the further away from the actual terminal it gets. I can't imagine that's going to help things any.

The whole idea is just gay. I think I can say that in this forum and I can't think of anyway else to say it.

I went down to the local parts store and managed to find an actual coil wire that I will use until I have a chance to order a boot for the wire I got with the kit.

Again, thanks for the help. My next step was to call MSD about it, but that's would have just ended with me whining more about it and telling the techie what a horrible idea it was like that poor bastard had anything to do with it.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Last photo:

Maybe something like this would work with your coil wire. MSD Ignition 8401 - MSD Modified HEI Dust Covers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.