Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - MSD coil testing
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Bummer..

You mentioned you put heatsink Compound on all the Connections? Do you mean wires?

Quote:
tested the module. Module was bad. replaced module.

fired right up. i also put die-electric grease on all of the connectors...just in case.
If so that's wrong, and you may have a short.

The Compound is supposed to go on the Bottom of the module, Between the advance plate and the module..after you clean off the old compound.

If you just put it on the wires, and put the module in dry, It may have shorted, overheated, and burned out. Pull it and have it checked again.

If you need a new one:
Quote:

If that checks out OK, I'd suspect the module..You can take that to Auto Zombie and have it tested for free..do it several times to get it hot..If it is bad, and you get a replacement, HAVE it TESTED too, before you leave the store! The fail rate out of the box is like 1 in 3 or 5...
The Magnetic pickups usually , like a module, are either good, or bad..If you replaced the module, cleared the coil, than the only thing left is the pickup..

Quote:
If the Module does check good, and it's a no spark issue, then the next component to fail would be the Magnetic pickup in side the dizzy, you can look up the Specs for your truck in ohms..(two are given If I remember for year boarders..before year xxx was xxx, after year xxx was xxx type thing)

Or a quick and dirty test is just put the star in between high lobes, and pass a magnetic screwdriver in front of the pick up, If the ohms reading jumps up then down, It's doing it's job. If not ..
Do you have a Tach? If so pull the wire and test it again, a bad calibration board can kill the spark..

I'd type all this out instead of quotes, but today I have a major migrane..that won't give me a break..sorry about that!

Let us know what you find, perhaps Ignition man has some ideas for you too..

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 02-10-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: added info...