MSD Digital 6 plus Wiring Install on a Scout - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

MSD Digital 6 plus Wiring Install on a Scout

I know, not exactly a hotrod, but it IS hotrodded... Came by a MSD digital 6 with a HVC coil on CL that I couldn't pass up, so... Here's my stats:
1980 International Scout II Traveler
International Harvester 345 V8
Prestolite Distributor, stock
MSD Blaster 2 Coil, currently
Ignition, other electrical for the most part, unmolested
TF727 AT

I followed (I think) the instructions for install on page 11. No go. Anyone familiar enough with a Scout and msd ignition boxes to comment?

Original wire from dizzy to positive side of coil connected to red wire on module
Original wire from dizzy to negative side of coil connected to white wire at module
Heavy red wire on module connected to positive battery
Heavy black connected to negative side of battery
Orange from module connected to new hvc coil positive
Black from module connected to new hvc coil negative
The prestolite distributor is a pointless distributor (pun intended...) Did I use the right diagram for wiring? Am I missing something?
How bout that little green wire that's looped from and back to the module? Instructions say it may or may not need to be cut, depends. Not clear enough for me to decide. Any suggestions welcomed. By the way, fantastic site, used it to build my fan shroud, install some relays for my lights, etc. Good info here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Your wiring sounds correct to me. (coil, battery & distributor).

What part number is this MSD box? I'm not up to speed on the single green wire.

Does your MSD box have the connector with violet & green leads that will connect to the magnetic pickup in the distributor? If available, that will bypass the factory amplifier electronics.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydawg
Your wiring sounds correct to me. (coil, battery & distributor).

What part number is this MSD box? I'm not up to speed on the single green wire.

Does your MSD box have the connector with violet & green leads that will connect to the magnetic pickup in the distributor? If available, that will bypass the factory amplifier electronics.

PN is 6520. Thanks for the response. It has the green/ violet wires in a harness with a plug at the end. My truck has a prestolite distributor in it, think it falls under the "points/ amplifier" ignition setups in msd's instructions. The green/ violet is supposed to be for magnetic pickup/ crank trigger distributors. Does the prestolite electronic fall under that category? If so, what in the heck do I hool it up to? My dist. has a brown wire going to the coil negative, and a red wire going to coil positive. Ideas? How do I tell if it's magnetic pickup? Guessing there might be a magnet inside the distributor somewhere?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
More for Less Racer

Not wired correctly, if the Prestolite is indeed pointless, you need to use the diagram for magnetic trigger. Violet/Green combo from the MSD gets hooked to just the mag trigger wires in the base of the distributor, some disassembly may be required to get them to a point you can hook to them.

You are hooked up correct for a points system right now, but the last points were used in stock ignitions about 1974-75. Your distributor should be magnetic trigger if it is stock to the 1980 Scout.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 AM
More for Less Racer

Did this distributor control a factory ignition box/amplifier??

Also, you say original wire from dizzy to pos side of coil is now hooked to small red at MSD box. Is this the 12v+ wire from the key?? Or just from dizzy to the MSD box?? This wire at the MSD box is intended for the switched positive wire from the ignition switch(key)

I'm a little unclear too on whether you need to cut the green loop, looks like you may need to call MSD to straighten it all out.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Not wired correctly, if the Prestolite is indeed pointless, you need to use the diagram for magnetic trigger. Violet/Green combo from the MSD gets hooked to just the mag trigger wires in the base of the distributor, some disassembly may be required to get them to a point you can hook to them.

You are hooked up correct for a points system right now, but the last points were used in stock ignitions about 1974-75. Your distributor should be magnetic trigger if it is stock to the 1980 Scout.
Kind of what I was thinking. Although I' m not sire which wires the green/ violet should tie in to on the distributor.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Did this distributor control a factory ignition box/amplifier??

Also, you say original wire from dizzy to pos side of coil is now hooked to small red at MSD box. Is this the 12v+ wire from the key?? Or just from dizzy to the MSD box?? This wire at the MSD box is intended for the switched positive wire from the ignition switch(key)

I'm a little unclear too on whether you need to cut the green loop, looks like you may need to call MSD to straighten it all out.
No, no external box or amp, all internal I guess. Older Scouts used an electronic holly distributor that used an external "gold box" similair in setup to old chryslers. Mine is not.

The small red wire is hooked up to the old positive coil wire currently, the instructions say switched ignition power or positive coil wire. I tried both and no luck. I guess I need to get a volt meter and check amount of volts coming thru the wires, supposed to have no less than 12 volts. When hooked up to the switched wire, LED on MSD blinks 7 times fast and that's it. When hooked up to the old positive coil wire, nothing happens.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:44 PM
More for Less Racer

You will likely have to disassembly at least some of the distributor to find out which wires you need, unless MSD could tell you. I don't think any of the wires you need are visible outside the distributor, you need the two wires that go from the magnetic trigger to the original internal module. The same thing has to be done to a GM HEI to use it with an MSD box.

Small red to switched ignition 12v going to coil is correct.
What does the 7 blinks at power-up mean??

Sounds like it is powered correctly but you aren't triggering it (wrong trigger wiring).
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You will likely have to disassembly at least some of the distributor to find out which wires you need, unless MSD could tell you. I don't think any of the wires you need are visible outside the distributor, you need the two wires that go from the magnetic trigger to the original internal module. The same thing has to be done to a GM HEI to use it with an MSD box.

Small red to switched ignition 12v going to coil is correct.
What does the 7 blinks at power-up mean??

Sounds like it is powered correctly but you aren't triggering it (wrong trigger wiring).
Yeah I have no idea about the 7 blinks myself. In the instructions it gives a description of the LED, but pretty vague.

In a moment of frustration I hooked the positive wire from the distributor going to the original coil as well as the negative wire to the green/ violet plug. No good, no change. I imagine you're right about disassembling it to get at the wiring. I'm going to hold off and call MSD in the morning and see if they can't shed some light on the subject. I'll report back my findings. Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmind
Yeah I have no idea about the 7 blinks myself. In the instructions it gives a description of the LED, but pretty vague.

In a moment of frustration I hooked the positive wire from the distributor going to the original coil as well as the negative wire to the green/ violet plug. No good, no change. I imagine you're right about disassembling it to get at the wiring. I'm going to hold off and call MSD in the morning and see if they can't shed some light on the subject. I'll report back my findings. Thanks a lot for your help.
Oh yeah, I tried it with the green wire intact, and also cutting it. Nope, not it. Odds will kick in soon enough! Tempted to round up a points IH and throw it in there.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Called MSD this morning, they say that it is a Hall effect type distributor, that it will no work with it, that the only box they offer that will is the 6AL 2. Think they're full of crap. Going to dig into it a bit more.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
More for Less Racer

If it is a Hall Effect type, maybe look into getting a Pertronics Ignitor conversion for it.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
If it is a Hall Effect type, maybe look into getting a Pertronics Ignitor conversion for it.
Yeah, MSD is right, thinking Pertronix or Crane XRI would be a good alternative, thanks for all the help ericnova
Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
More for Less Racer

I would go Pertronix. I have used both without problems, but with Crane gone out of business, their new owners have discontinued the ignition parts division.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.