Hot Rod Forum banner

MSD Ignition questions

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  malc 
#1 ·
Yesterday we began running a couple initial engine checks on our new toy to make sure it was all good to go. One of the things we did included disconnecting the plug wire from the coil to the distributor cap and cranking the engine. During this test the coil arc'd to the firewall, but we didn't think anything of it.

After we were all done with tinkering, we went to the start the car and there is nothing coming out of the msd 6-btm box. We followed the instructions on MSD's website and have determined that the box is not working.

My question is, is it possible that this arc could have somehow shorted this box out? Is there some sort of fuse or reset switch anywhere? We are just a little shocked that this component could have gone bad so easily.

#3 ·
I suppose anything is possible.
Kind of sucks for it to go bad like that.
How long did you crank engine over with the coil arching to the firewall? I have had the same happen (arch) on occasion but for very short intervals with out a problem.
Any chance you had a non filtered battery charger hooked up to your battery while you were cranking?
I believe all of the newer MSD's have a diode in the primary 12 volt circuit to prevent burn out from unfiltered DC voltage, but possibly not.
Is this a new or used box?
Best of success getting your problem fixed.

#5 ·
It was only about a three second crank. There is no power going to the coil from the orange wire coming out of the MSD box, and when you try to crank it there is no spark from the coil. Any other troubleshooting ideas? Is there a way to bypass the box to see if the engine starts then?

#12 ·
MSD Ignition Help!

Did you check the small red wire for 12+ volts? Is there a red LED light lit on the box with the key on? The small red wire should be going from the box to the ignition switch. It turns the box on and off. BTW what is the year, make, and model for the car? If it a newer car check the fuse box to see if ignition fuse is blown.

#10 · (Edited)
40,000 volts to ground.
Sounds like what is happening at the spark plug.
I believe your box should have a white wire as well as a a green and purple with a plug to go in to your distributor or crank trigger. White wire is for a points style distributor.
Blake and orange are to the distributor, small red wire to switched ign source. 10 gauge red and black to a direct 12 volt battery source.
I will presume your ignition is wired per the above.
Hook up a spark plug to the coil wire and toggle the 12 volt switch source on and off. If your box and coil are good you will get a spark.
I do not believe you will see 12 volts at the coil.
If no spark, verify 12 volts at the 10 gauge wires.
Try subbing a known good coil. Continue to toggle the on off switch to the box. If still no spark, pretty good chance something happened to your MSD box.
Any chance you can get a MSD tester to try.
Like already stated, I don't think there are any parts inside that the average guy can replace or test.
Send it in to MSD or tech west for repairs.
While searching for the techwest web site I found this link: http://techwest.ipower.com/page2.html. It might be of some help to you.
Best of luck in finding your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.