MSD wires suck! and so do headers! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MSD wires suck! and so do headers!

Just an early morning rant!

Had a slight miss at idle for the past few days. checked this morning and found 3 cracked brittle wires. I spent the big bucks on the MSD wires for this new engine. Now, this makes 4 junk wires from the heat. My old engine went 12 years and had, for the entire 12 years, a set of Auto Zone 8mm silicone wires, less than 20 bucks!. When I pulled them off, the ends were gooey and oil soaked but never had one burn up like these POS MSD wires! I'd probably be better off running duct tape wrapped coat hangers!
So now I get to either buy ANOTHER full set for 70 bucks or buy 4 seperates for 40 bucks! (or go back to AZ and buy the cheap stockers, that actually last!)

AND,,,,,I'll NEVER, EVER in my life put headers on anything I own again! If I had the stock manifolds and could afford new exhaust, i'd change it back today! For a daily driver, the agravation of blown gaskets, fried wires, cracked tubes and toasted starters just aint worth the supposed HP increase! I have (Heco en Maheeeko) Hookers on my truck, my son has 2 year old Headmans (cracked already!) and we both HATE them! Maybe if we only drove them 100 miles a year, they'd be ok but this sucks!!

And on top of that, my stupid ignorant moron neighbors let their dogs bark all the time, waking me and my wife up at 5:10 this morning. Their reply? "dogs are SUPPOSED TO BARK!" Well, this ain't gonna fly either!

Oh well, another ho hum day in paradise!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

I like Taylor wires myself. they make some nice boot protectors as well.Taylor
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

I use our brand echlan (standard) premium wires, they carry a lifetime warranty so if they ever crack I order a new set

P.S. Also the heat shield protectors are not a bad idea
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You must have missed your Prozac J lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Cruiser

Last photo:

I use Magnecor 8MM. Yea, they're twice the price but so far, not even fazed by heat from the headers. Also guaranteed unless you route them with stupidity.

I had a set of accell 8.5. Burned and cracked the boots. Frustrating.........

BTW, you could live here where a car alarm goes off EVERY morning without fail. And I mean every morning!!!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Last photo:

Taylor

Vince
Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
You must have missed your Prozac J lol.

Believe me, i've looked!!! Fresh out! LOL Just ticks me off when crap goes south so fast. Like I need something else to fix and pay for.
Called my buddy and he says he's got a complete stock truck out in his barn, ready for the salvage yard. Guess it's road trip time for some stock exhaust parts. Anyone want some Hookers for a 77 chevy truck?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Have had headers on my 85 for a little over a year no problems with wires and collector gaskets are just now needing replacing (as for the neighbors dogs if there just barking for the sake of barking and not trying to chase someone who shouldnt be there off .......when they start in the morning you could always change your collector gaskets....run em open for a minuite or so......."Trucks are supposed to be loud" )

Shane
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Odd, because I've been using a set of 8.5mm MSD wires on my Vette for over 40K miles now w/o a problem. They were first installed when the stock manifolds were still on the engine. Since then, I've used them with three different brands of headers. The first set was mild steel, uncoated and some of the boots were very close. No problems. The last two sets have been stainless, which contain the heat within them a little better, somewhat like coated headers, just not quite as well. The second set of headers were DRMs which were 409 stainless. The current set are Stainless Works headers, a higher grade 304 stainless. On average, stainless headers offer about a 100 degree surface temperature reduction over uncoated mild steel. Coated headers reduce that about another 100 degrees. These are temps I've taken in the engine compartment, not far from the head. Or in other words where plug wires might be affected.
MSD wires (and boots) are generally considered to be an extremely heat resistant wire. They have proven to me to be impervious to header heat, as long as there's no actual contact. I'm curious to know why you've had a problem with them in this respect.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jacob...QQcmdZViewItem

Those may help
Shane
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM

Last photo:

Buy angle plug heads and you will never burn another wire,of course it is kinda drastic but works for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Just an early morning rant!

Had a slight miss at idle for the past few days. checked this morning and found 3 cracked brittle wires. I spent the big bucks on the MSD wires for this new engine. Now, this makes 4 junk wires from the heat. My old engine went 12 years and had, for the entire 12 years, a set of Auto Zone 8mm silicone wires, less than 20 bucks!. When I pulled them off, the ends were gooey and oil soaked but never had one burn up like these POS MSD wires! I'd probably be better off running duct tape wrapped coat hangers!
So now I get to either buy ANOTHER full set for 70 bucks or buy 4 seperates for 40 bucks! (or go back to AZ and buy the cheap stockers, that actually last!)

AND,,,,,I'll NEVER, EVER in my life put headers on anything I own again! If I had the stock manifolds and could afford new exhaust, i'd change it back today! For a daily driver, the agravation of blown gaskets, fried wires, cracked tubes and toasted starters just aint worth the supposed HP increase! I have (Heco en Maheeeko) Hookers on my truck, my son has 2 year old Headmans (cracked already!) and we both HATE them! Maybe if we only drove them 100 miles a year, they'd be ok but this sucks!!

And on top of that, my stupid ignorant moron neighbors let their dogs bark all the time, waking me and my wife up at 5:10 this morning. Their reply? "dogs are SUPPOSED TO BARK!" Well, this ain't gonna fly either!

Oh well, another ho hum day in paradise!

H I L A R I O U S!!! Best post of the day, venting a little are we???
laughed my azzhat off!! i have days like that too!!

sell your truck to some dub kid, buy a honda, shoot the neighbors dog then shoot the neighbors then move out of the neighborhood!!!! problem solved!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

i have been running a set of live wires for 3 years now not a problem a bit pricey but well worth it . oh and i also have headers.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/livewire.htm

i don't know about the barney wires LOL
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

I've had excellent results using the MSD wire, I buy the 25 foot roll and terminals and make them to the length I need, route them so they don't touch the headers and they work for years without problems.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Believe me, i've looked!!! Fresh out! LOL Just ticks me off when crap goes south so fast. Like I need something else to fix and pay for.
Called my buddy and he says he's got a complete stock truck out in his barn, ready for the salvage yard. Guess it's road trip time for some stock exhaust parts. Anyone want some Hookers for a 77 chevy truck?
If you need a place for those headers I'll send you my address with some shipping money.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.