Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - is this to much cam...?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

yup, that would be a decent cam

Isky Racing Cams 201271 - Isky Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

it would have a decent idle, it's kinda of on the boarder with whether it would need a higher speed stall converter or not. i think you could get away with a stock converter. but if it where my project i would put a 2500-2600 stall in it. and if you are running anyting larger than a 30-31" tall tire then i would recomend atleast 4.10 gears. epecially since the truck should have a 700r4 in it.

before you go and order that cam you will want to check and see if the stock heads w/ what ever springs, stock or aftermarket can handle .465" lift. I personally think it will need new springs and shims because i would want around .050" before i got into any kind of coil bind issues, so you would be looking at a set up that had atleast .500-.525" coil spring depression in to it before bind. not to mention you will have to look into what seat pressure ISKY recomends for this cam and match that too.

i still think that another set of heads would be a worth while (even money wise) purchase. the problem is that you have set your self up with those domed pistons so you will have to go with around a 70-72cc combustion chamber heads to get your compression levels down to a decent level.

may i ask why you went with a .015" shim gasket? I hope that it wasn't for more compression cause you could very well end up with some bent valves pretty fast if everything else doesn't check out.