Mud Dobbers and tools don't mix - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 03:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I noticed all the guys posting are from back east. I don;t think we have anything like that out here on the west coast (California), thank goodness, those little critters seem like a pain in the rear. We do have the wasps that build mud nests and birds that like to build them on your front porch.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Bugs

This is what we are talking about camaroman, the mud nest building wasp,they build their nest up under the eaves of houses too,hell they ain't fussy they will build anywhere, we don't have the bird problem here in Fl. however, thank god
Old 11-07-2005, 11:57 PM

Mud dobbers and tools don't mix

Since we're on the subject of bugs, how about flies? I'm in the process of building a shop. It's all in the dry but no insulation or sheetrock. There is a room upstairs with a floor, but again, no insulation or sheetrock. There are 2 windows downstairs and 1 upstairs and the flies love to congregate around the windows. Like there's gotta be about o billion of ,em!! I spray them down and kill them off and vacuum them up and an hour later there's about a dozen buzzing around and more dead ones, too. Leave it a day and the sill is covered with dead ones. But there's never more than a dozen or so buzzing around at any one time. How do I get rid of these things for good? Anyone else have this problem? Besides the mess it's damned annoying!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

523, I can relate to that only here in northern Tennessee it's Lady bugs MILLIONS of them! About this time of year they start coming in the house and there is no way to keep them out. It is a daily chore here to vacuum the dang things from the ceilings and light fixtures. For every one we kill a hundred comes to it's funeral and stays so about the only thing we can do is put up with them for a few weeks
Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Bugs

Here in Florida we have the damn Love Bugs to contend with at certain parts of the year, do you have them in Tenn. and on up north? They love the smell of gas, it attracts them by the bazillions when you are trying to work on anything, they do a number on a paint job too, on the fly's I found a sticky fly trap at a local supply place, it's a round tube about 2ft. long and 1-1/2"in dia.it has this goo all over it and it is very sticky, I hung one up in a tree close to where I tinker on things and in a couple of days it was covered with fly's ,yellow fly's(that bite) and all sorts of critters, these work really good if you want to kill em without the poisonLet em kill their selves
Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

No, fortunately we do not have love bugs here but I am well acquainted with them also(clogged radiator) while in Florida.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:57 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

bugs bugs bugs

for the guy with the lady bug problems ever read one of those pond magazines they sell all kinds of water plants and bugs ..praying mantis dragon flies and lady bugs

mud dabber suck
I had a pro weed eater that burnt a plug to it back to the shop (under warranty) 2 days later pull pull pull back to the shop freaking mud dabber clogged the exhaust S O B

of course in Florida we gots critters
rattlers
water moccasins
black widows
brown recluse
luv bugs or screw bugs
fire ants it never ends

heres some tips

if you encounter a wasp nest the honey comb type use a large bottle of dish detergent bottle and maybe a 1/2" of the soap in the bottom make sure the thing is full of liquid and squirt it will drop them better than any wasp spray

I always look under anything before I crawl under it ..

working in the bone yards Ive had just about everything come at me at one time or another theres not too much that P B Blaster wont kill eventually but dont use it indoors it tends to linger

ive had opossums ,raccoons ,squirrels, rats, snakes roaches, (some smokable ) spiders, snakes ,cats even some birds come out of a car its crazy

If the PB dont work the smoke wrench will.

if you have your own shop a dog and a yard cat will prove a endless resource in this department

one of the creepiest bugs is a mole cricket or how about taking a rhinoceros beetle in the shoulder on a motor bike ..ouch

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 11-19-2005, 08:36 PM

Changes in lattitudes...

It seems like the farther south you travel, the weirder it gets. In South Florida, not only do we have to deal with the mud daubers (I had a dune buggy that always seemed to have a mud plug in the mixture adjustment port,) we also have house geckos laying eggs in everything. These lizards will lay a clutch of 5 to 20 eggs (each a bit larger than a pea) in any barely-hidden space, and they seem to have a fondness for the windings of electric motors. I have to remember to slowly rotate my table saw and drill press by hand to clear out the eggs or risk making an ugly mess when the motor fires up. Things don't get much better if the eggs hatch, the geckos are nasty translucent-looking things.

On a related note, cicadas are attracted to the sound of my angle grinder for some reason, they'll go completely mental attack it. Very distracting.

The iguana invasion is another story, but at least they don't mess with our tools...
Old 11-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Since we're on the subject of bugs, how about flies? I'm in the process of building a shop. It's all in the dry but no insulation or sheetrock. There is a room upstairs with a floor, but again, no insulation or sheetrock. There are 2 windows downstairs and 1 upstairs and the flies love to congregate around the windows. Like there's gotta be about o billion of ,em!! I spray them down and kill them off and vacuum them up and an hour later there's about a dozen buzzing around and more dead ones, too.
You can have a 16' garage door opened and a fly cannot see that to get out, but have a little 2'x2' window and the stupid thing will go right to that to try and escape. also fly dung does not come off real easy either. I have two ceiling fans in the garage and it does seem to help somewhat but there is really no sure fire way to keep them out of the window except for hanging one of those ugly fly strips in front of it.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am retired but I do some part time work for a local Pest Control Company. I spray the eaves and over hang of my house and shop and also around the windows and doors evey three months with a product called Suspend, it only takes a ounce and a half to a gallon of water. This will not completely eliminate the dirt daubers and wasps, but it will make a 90% improvement.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Henry, What about bumble bees? The dang things nest in the insulation in my shop walls and so far have been so well hidden in there that nothing seems to touch them. They also bore 1/2" holes in any soft wood such as wall studs and rafters. I have noticed that there seems to be two types of these bees which are identical except for one type is about half the size of the other, The smaller one is the one I am plagued with and these are very destructive and VERY aggressive! Any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:26 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well I can tell you from experience that the dang mud daubers will sting and it hurts. The big bumble bee do too even worse.

For what it is worth and I don't work for these people. I got talked into a couple of these electric things you plug into the wall and forget. They are supposed to make some kind of ultra noise that drives bugs and rodents away. I put 2 of them in my garage and .....*** a couple days later no dam bugs, and no dam mice inthe traps and no traces of them Even the spiders are fast leaving. Even the dog doesn't really like to come out inthe garage anymore. My buddy laughed about this but we tried them over at his place and they worked there too except for the dma june bugs. they are too stupid.

I had one of those june bugs fly into my weld while I was TIG welding....***...It had to be on aluminum too. What a mess. Talk about stink. worse than a stink bug.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:56 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Henry, What about bumble bees? The dang things nest in the insulation in my shop walls and so far have been so well hidden in there that nothing seems to touch them. They also bore 1/2" holes in any soft wood such as wall studs and rafters. I have noticed that there seems to be two types of these bees which are identical except for one type is about half the size of the other, The smaller one is the one I am plagued with and these are very destructive and VERY aggressive! Any suggestions?
What you have are not bumble bees but carpenter bees, they look very much alike except the slight difference in size. The best thing for them is dust. If you wil get some Sevin dust or any kind of garden dust, then get a small manual duster ( squeeze bulb type thing) and blow a little dust into your walls, you might have to drill som small holes for access. Try to put it in at the top of the walls as the dust will settle downward. It is amazing it does not take much. Puff a little dust in the bee holes also and puff some around on places where they will light, on top of rafters, window sills, what ever.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

Bent, You really got my interest in those electric bug devices what are they called? Where can I find them? AAAAH the aroma of burning bugs! I have been a welder around the mining areas of Kentucky and Tennessee for years and back in those mountains at night in the summer those things come from miles around when you light up that arc. Moths of all sizes(some as big as small birds!), shapes and colors flock out of the surrounding woods to commit suicide in the arc puddle but not before taking a stroll all over the guy doing the welding. I always get a good laugh out of a new guy the first time out at night when those things begin to attack, they don't bite or sting but just imagine trying to weld and having big butterfly like moths crawling around your head and inside the hood. Welding out in the boonies at night is whole different experience
Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

Henery, I use Sevin in the garden so I have some already. I never thought of that. I will dust their butts down good! Thanks

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.